Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users whats command for search including sub directory ? Post 302171872 by lamilami on Friday 29th of February 2008 09:28:50 PM
Old 02-29-2008
what i do is:
ls -R > allfiles
it stores all filenames in directory wise in a file; named allfiles.
then
grep myfile from allfiles.
this is the fastest way that i know if you have to search for files often.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Whats the command to see

What fonts are installed on a Solaris 8? I have no GUI so a command line command would be great. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acleoma
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find directory not including current

Using Solaris 8, I've forgotten how to exclude the current directory in the find results. find . -type d ! -name "*.CAP" I want every directory that does not match the *.CAP pattern, except the current directory. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search in a directory using grep command

Hi, I want to search files/directories in /temp directory which starts with letter 'a'. How can I do that using grep command. I can find out like ls -ltr a* but I want to use grep command like ls -ltr | grep ..... like that. Please help. Malay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix find command to print directory and search string

Hi i need to print pathname in which the string present using 'find' command sample output like this Pathname String to be searched ---------- -------------------- /usr/test/myfile get /opt/test/somefile get Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: princein
4 Replies

5. Linux

Whats for: /etc/locks directory?

Hi there! Can someone please tell me what is for the directory /etc/locks and provide me with an example. I certainly don't understand it very well. Any help will be much appreciated! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
1 Replies

6. AIX

how to find whats filling up Root Directory

Hi guys I am running AIX 5.3 and a newbie to it. And I am getting reports telling me that the Root Directory is reaching almost max capacity, can someone give m some advice to find out what files are causing it to grow? , or how I can identify the growing files? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryanbsc@gmail.c
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for Pattern and Print including Lines in between

Gurus, I have a big file that needs to be sorted out and I cant figure out what to do. The file name is as below: Name: xxxx yyyy nnnn Description: dfffgs sdgsgsf hsfhhs afgghhjdgj fjklllll gsfhfh Updated: jafgadsgg gsg Corrected: date today The file consists of line like these. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file and zip without including directory path

Does anyone know of a way to zip the resulting file from a find command? My approach below finds the file and zips the entire directory path, which is not what I need. After scanning the web, it seems to be much easier to perform gzip, but unfortunately the approach must use zip. find `$DIR`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koeji
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to search files in a directory excluding subdirectories

Hi Forum, I am using the below command to find files older than x days in a directory excluding subdirectories. From the previous forums I got to know that prune command helps us not to descend in subdirectories. Though I am using it here, not getting the desired result. cd $dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies
conflict(8mh)															     conflict(8mh)

Name
       conflict - search for alias/password conflicts

Syntax
       /usr/lib/mh/conflict [ -help ] [ -mail name ] [ -search directory ] [ aliasfiles ...  ]

Description
       The  program checks to see if the interface between MH and transport system is in good shape.  It also checks for maildrops in which do not
       belong to a valid user.	It assumes that no user name will start with a dot (.)	and thus ignores files in which begin with a dot.

The program checks the entries in the specified alias files.  It parses the entries in the same way that  would,  and  outputs  any  errors
       which  it  finds.   The	program can be used to check the entries in a user's personal alias file, or in the system alias file, If no alias
       file is specified, checks the system alias file.

The program also checks the file for entries which do not belong to a valid user, and for users who do not have a valid group  number.	In
       addition, duplicate users and groups are noted.

The program should be run under or whenever system accounting takes place.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-mail name
		 Mails the results to the specified name.  Otherwise, the results are sent to the standard output.

-search directory
		 Searches  directories	other than and reports anomalies in those directories.	The -search switch can appear more than once in an
		 invocation to with different directories named.

Files
       The system customization file.

The system password file.

The system group file.

Program used to mail results, if the
		 -mail option is used.

Directory containing users' maildrops.

See Also
       mh-alias(5mh), cron(8)

conflict(8mh)