Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to take input at the startup script!! Post 302171716 by adderek on Friday 29th of February 2008 08:50:36 AM
Old 02-29-2008
So you are trying to do something before the system is started?
Possibly
Code:
read var

should work, if not then you could try
Code:
</dev/stty0

or something similar. But in my opinion this is not a good thing.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup script

New in Unix, I am adding a line "route add 57.14.y.y 57.14.x.x" every day after rebooting the system. Where can I add the line so during boot up (the system is re-started every day by design (???) the line is executed? (I tried the /etc/rc2.d/S90 but for some reason the line needs to be added... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: texaspanama
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Executing a script at startup

Hi, I want a script to execute as soon as a user logs in(instead of directing to his home directory). i know that i have to mention the path of script in the user's .profile to execute this, but not sure where and what to edit. I just tried and was unsuccesful. Kindly provide the code that i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridharr83
4 Replies

3. AIX

run script at startup

I am using AIX 5.3 in P6 machine. I have a script "test.sh", when i run it manually it runs properly. I want to run the script automatically when system starts. I kept the script in /etc/rc.d/init.d and also in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d but it is not working. Do i have to write it in inittab instead of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchangba1
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Startup Script Somewhere ?

Hello there! I need help. Everytime I login to my ssh, i see this: -bash: .export: command not found -bash: .export: command not found -bash: .export: command not found -bash: .export: command not found any help ? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fbauto1
0 Replies

5. AIX

startup script

Hi I need the below script to be started whenever I reboot my aix server ? #cat cdbegin /cdirect/cdunix/ndm/bin/cdpmgr -i /cdirect/cdunix/ndm/cfg/cbspsdb01/initparm.cfg Please suggest how to add this to the startup ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup and shutdown script

Hi all, I'm writing a script to stop & start oracle: su - oracle -c "sqlplus / as sysdba" -c "shutdown immediate">> ${log} 2>&1 The {log} refers to the log file. The part in bold gives error: /usr/sbin/shutdown: Only root can run /usr/sbin/shutdown Pls suggest how to correct this. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup script

I can't quite find a clear answer on how to properly write a start up script. Does anybody have any ideas?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
3 Replies
startup(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						startup(7)

NAME
startup - event signalling system startup SYNOPSIS
startup [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The startup event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon after it has completed its own initialisation and is the signal that the rest of the system may be started. Typically this will involve checking and mounting the partitions and drives that form the filesystem, loading drivers for connected devices and starting the X windowing system or other login environment. In the default Upstart configuration, the primary task run on the startup event is the /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf job responsible for gener- ating the System V compatible runlevel(7) event. See that page for a more detailed explanation of this process. Paradoxically there is currently no corresponding Upstart-native event signifying that the system is to be shutdown, only the System V com- patible runlevel 0 and runlevel 6 events provide this functionality. EXAMPLE
A service with no other dependencies run on startup might use: start on startup SEE ALSO
runlevel(7) init(8) Upstart 2009-07-09 startup(7)