Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to corrupt a superblock?
Operating Systems Solaris How to corrupt a superblock? Post 302171592 by sujathan on Friday 29th of February 2008 01:38:38 AM
Old 02-29-2008
How to corrupt a superblock?

I need to corrupt a superblock of a mounted device in a soalris m/c and check recovery from an alternate superblock. How can this be done?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Help! Boot failure - corrupt superblock

Hi everyone, OK, I've made a monumental fsck-up of my linux installation AND I did not backup my data properly (idiot!), so I'm really up the proverbial without a paddle here. Basically the problem is I re-sized my /home partition (hda13) using Partition Magic 8.0, after doing so my mandrake... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alarmcall
0 Replies

2. AIX

Can't mount showing 0506-342 The superblock on /dev/fslv00 is dirty

Dear All Last day in Aix 5.2 server by executing # df –g I found following: Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on . . /dev/fslv00 58.00 136.70 -135% 212103 1% /sprod After shutting down by following command # shutdown –h And when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xa52000
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux EXT3 superblock recovery

Is there a way to recover or rebuild the superblock of an ext3 filesystem with out loosing data? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lochraven
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

superblock error

can anybody help me to recovermy superblock , the recent power crash has done some stuff on my linux redhat 9 box . when i startup the machine iam getting the following error: The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

corrupt disk

Hallo Friends, I have application X running on hpux 11.11 and oracle 9i release 2. I recently had a hardware failure on disk /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 Below is the systemlog file : root@a7dmc:/var/adm/syslog > /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 155713541 -r /storage/events/enclosures/gazemon/0_1_1_0.0.0... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
11 Replies

6. Linux

CentOS Error: Superblock

Hi Guys, I really don't know where to put my query about this. And as a newbie, I think CentOS is closest to Ubuntu. Anyway, here's my dilemma. I have installed a VMWare - ESX 3.5 and installed CentOS 6 and cloned the CentOS 6. The first CentOS was working fine, when i cloned it, and the cloning... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: init6_
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Superblock marked dirty

Good morning! I met a problem on a FS with AIX 5.3 It's not possible to mount the FS because of a dirty superblock. I tried few things without success. I need your help to solve my problem guys. Do you have any idea please? Thanks a lot drp01,/home/root # mount /GSPRES/data Replaying... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
9 Replies

8. Linux

Mount reiserfs .dsk image failed: can't read superblock

I have a failed 160 GB Western Digital Netcenter NAS disk and its image after failing in .DSK format. When I connect the disk to my ubuntu machine and typed: # losetup -o 512006144 /dev/loop1 /dev/sdc # mkdir /tmp/sdc # mount -r -t reiserfs /dev/loop1 /tmp/sdc I get my folders and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalil1408
0 Replies

9. Solaris

File System Error: BAD SUPERBLOCK AT BLOCK 16: NUMBER OF DIRECTORIES OUT OF RANGE

Hi All, we are having a file system error in one of our servers. The server failed to boot in usual user mode. Instead boot with single user mode and requesting to run a FSCK manually to repair the corrupted. see the below output. Netra T2000, No Keyboard Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddhike G
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

Linux bad superblock on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root

Hi Friends . my linux try to start very slowly after give it this error: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root, missing codepage or helper program, or other error in some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg : tail or so Kernel panic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackjuan
3 Replies
DUMPE2FS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       DUMPE2FS(8)

NAME
dumpe2fs - dump ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem information SYNOPSIS
dumpe2fs [ -bfghixV ] [ -o superblock=superblock ] [ -o blocksize=blocksize ] device DESCRIPTION
dumpe2fs prints the super block and blocks group information for the filesystem present on device. Note: When used with a mounted filesystem, the printed information may be old or inconsistent. OPTIONS
-b print the blocks which are reserved as bad in the filesystem. -o superblock=superblock use the block superblock when examining the filesystem. This option is not usually needed except by a filesystem wizard who is examining the remains of a very badly corrupted filesystem. -o blocksize=blocksize use blocks of blocksize bytes when examining the filesystem. This option is not usually needed except by a filesystem wizard who is examining the remains of a very badly corrupted filesystem. -f force dumpe2fs to display a filesystem even though it may have some filesystem feature flags which dumpe2fs may not understand (and which can cause some of dumpe2fs's display to be suspect). -g display the group descriptor information in a machine readable colon-separated value format. The fields displayed are the group number; the number of the first block in the group; the superblock location (or -1 if not present); the range of blocks used by the group descriptors (or -1 if not present); the block bitmap location; the inode bitmap location; and the range of blocks used by the inode table. -h only display the superblock information and not any of the block group descriptor detail information. -i display the filesystem data from an image file created by e2image, using device as the pathname to the image file. -x print the detailed group information block numbers in hexadecimal format -V print the version number of dumpe2fs and exit. BUGS
You need to know the physical filesystem structure to understand the output. AUTHOR
dumpe2fs was written by Remy Card <Remy.Card@linux.org>. It is currently being maintained by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@alum.mit.edu>. AVAILABILITY
dumpe2fs is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
e2fsck(8), mke2fs(8), tune2fs(8). ext4(5) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 DUMPE2FS(8)