Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Directories with spaces in name - looking for help with questions in that issue Post 302171553 by Smiling Dragon on Thursday 28th of February 2008 06:57:51 PM
Old 02-28-2008
I must confess, I stopped reading at the part where you talk about the need to make each level directory as you go.

Why not just use the -p flag to mkdir? Might save some effort...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Access permisions issue for directories

I am getting the different accessing permissions for the directories ,for some directories it is drwxr-sr-x, for some other directories it is like drwxr-xr-x. what is the difference between these 2 access permisions of the directories? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bishnu.bhatta
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & dirname:problems with white spaces in Directories

Hi all, my problem: (little extract from my bash-script) I want to move each file (.mov) from one directory (and many Subdirectories) to another directory (only one); after moving i want to create hardlinks to the old directories. Thatīs no problem, but now: source-directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tubian
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find folders with spaces and end of files and directories

Hi I need a script that can search through a set of directories and can locate any file or directory that has a space at the end Filename(space) Foldername(space) I then need to remove that space within the script Hope someone can help thanks in advance Treds (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
8 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Spaces in File Name issue

Hi, I have a small issue while using variables for a file name in UNIX. I have file name like "abc def 123.txt" Folder will be in /zzz/xxx/yyy I created 2 variables Folder = '/zzz/xxx/yyy' file = 'abc def 123.txt' While using this in grep command i am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -exec directories with spaces

All, I have a cleanup script that removes directories and all contents underneath, but I am having issues with directories with spaces. This is the command I am currently running, how can I get it to work with directories with spaces? find /path -mindepth 3 -type d -exec rm -rf {} \; (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
29 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with spaces in Java command line options

Hi, I am writing a shell script to build Java options dynamically in a variable array and pass them to java.exe. If an option value contains a space, I cannot find a way to get it interpreted correctly. Here is my example: #!/bin/bash JAVA_HOME=/opt/jvm/jre1.5.0_18 JAVA_OPTS=("-Xms256m... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Romain
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

White spaces issue with shell variables

Hi all, I've a requirement as below Source file src.txt sample data: A<10 white spaces>B12<5 white spaces>C<17 white spaces> A1<5 white spaces>B22<5 white spaces>C13<17 white spaces> when I'm fetching a record from this file into a shell variable like below: vRec=`head -1 src.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_1126
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directories with spaces

My code path=`find /root/folder/ -maxdepth 100 -type d | sort --random-sort | head -1` if this returns a directory with spaces in for instance: /root/folder/this is a folder is there a way to replace the value of path with the same value but with the spaces replaced so its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directories having spaces

Hi I have a list file with complete path of files and there are directories with spaces. Now when i read the list file, read the line and read the file it says no file found because of the space. How can I get through this issues for file in $(<list_file.txt) do first_line=`head -1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
8 Replies
explain_mkdir_or_die(3) 				     Library Functions Manual					   explain_mkdir_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_mkdir_or_die - create a directory and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/mkdir.h> void explain_mkdir_or_die(const char *pathname); DESCRIPTION
The explain_mkdir_or_die function is used to call the mkdir(2) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from explain_mkdir(3), and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: explain_mkdir_or_die(pathname); pathname The pathname, exactly as to be passed to the mkdir(2) system call. Returns: This function only returns on success. On failure, prints an explanation and exits. SEE ALSO
mkdir(2) create a directory explain_mkdir(3) explain mkdir(2) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2008 Peter Miller explain_mkdir_or_die(3)