Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Some CLI questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Some CLI questions Post 302170798 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 26th of February 2008 05:06:08 PM
Old 02-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotancohen
‎Thanks. I should replace "$DIR" with the name of the directory in examples 1 and 2?
Right.
Quote:
In 1 it makes sense, but in 2 I need it to work on _all_ directories and files in the current directory. I understand that's what the find command does, but why would it need a "$DIR" argument?
The GNU/linux version of find assumes the current directory if you do not supply one. Other versions may require an explicit path (e.g., '.' for the current directory).

Quote:
For 3, where can I read the directory entry, or is that only available on the filesystem level?
Code:
shopt -s dotglob  ## bash only
printf "%s\n" *   ## non-bash, add: .*

Or use ls.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

start dt apps from CLI

I have need of starting the app manager or what ever it is called from the CLI. I can start the text editor and file manger i.e. dtpad, dtfile & dtmail etc... But I have forgotten the command to start the app manager. Help!!!! :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a Python CLI module

When I say "Command Line Interface" I mean the wrapper that allows you to type "commands" and have then correspond to pre-programmed actions... all the while making sure that it looks like you are INSIDE a shell of sorts. I had good hope for "common.cli" but that didnt last long, when I found... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjinno
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Get a web page through CLI

Is there a way we can get a web page through CLI on a unix machine? Please help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
3 Replies

4. Programming

terminal IO for CLI devlopment

Hi all, Am trying to develop CLI kind of program which does a telcom switch configuration . I have to provide a terminal and a prompt to user for that I did following: static struct termios old_term; struct termios new_term; tcgetattr(STDIN_FILENO, &old_term); new_term = old_term; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

6. Ubuntu

CLI Change drive

Please -- I cannot find how to change in terminal from e.g. sda1 to sda2 or to sdb* Any ideas please? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Royalist
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Booting from Grub CLI

Hi, Hoping someone out there has seen this before. My backup/restore operation failed when my system ran out of memory Restore operation failed Setting ZFS Boot Environment to rootpool cannot set property for 'rootpool': out of space Installing GRUB Boot Loader into the first disk stage1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-Train
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Questions on CLI and xwindow

Hi, I was not sure about the terminology of the thing that I am about to explain, so it was very difficult to find relevant search results. I want to use my computer using the ctrl+alt+f1 CLI without using a graphical system. However, at the same time, I would also like to do basic tasks like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a command in another cli

I am writing a script to login to to a mongo DB node and get the status of that machine. The usual work flow is : # mongo admin -u root -p root MongoDB shell version: 3.0.11 connecting to: admin rs0:SECONDARY> Then in the new prompt I can run a command to check status : ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Trying to get my computer to boot to CLI

I prefer for my computers to boot in the CLI. Back in the day, all you had to do to make this happen (on Debian-based) was edit a line in /etc/default/grub and then run: sudo update-grub But for some reason now, more updated (I guess) operating systems won't accept this, you have to manually shut... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
2 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)