Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Creating a "semi" root user? Is it possible? Post 302170353 by vbe on Monday 25th of February 2008 10:53:52 AM
Old 02-25-2008
Well thats exactly the purpose of sudo...
Of course you could also give restricted SAM for user/printer administration and configure sudo for the rest...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

sendmail "root... User address required." error

I'm running sendmail (8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8/Submit) solaris 10. When I send mail to root at the command line (whether I use a full-qualified address or just root), I get the error message root... User address required. Sending mail to root (either at the command line or in a cron job),... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give non root user sudo to "crontab -l"

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to give some users access to root's crontab but only with a read privilege. Is this possible to do or can only root or people with full root sudo view root's cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

error"warning: user owen does not exist - using root"?

I am trying to install openmotif22-2.2.3-18.src.rpm, after I typed in " rpm -i openmotif22-2.2.3-18.src.rpm" the following message comes out: warning: user owen does not exist - using root warning: group owen does not exist - using root I am install openmotif under root account. Do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishwater00
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to allow particular user only to login as a root using "ssh" ?

Q1 I want to allow particular user only to login into root using ssh. I have set PermitRootLogin no for security purpose but I want to allow some of the users to login as a root using ssh how to do this? I have tried with Allowusers user1 user2 its working for only the user1 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
3 Replies

5. Solaris

"! bad user (root)" in cron log

I am getting the following error in the cron log: ! bad user (root) Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 < root 8989 c Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 rc=1 What does this mean? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a Shortcut (to just type "l" but it runs "ls -lah")

How do I create shortcuts? For example: I just want to type one key "l" and have it output the command of "ls -lah" I believe it's creating a file called l with 755 permissions but I'm not sure where to put the file. *if it matters, I'm on a shared hosting web server using cPanel with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustsawmars
2 Replies

7. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Root running a script calling to scp using user "xyz" is not authenticating!

Close duplicate thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denissi
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run root level command , if user has "su -" permission in sudoers provided?

I am looking t run root level command on multiple servers, but all servers have only "su - " permission available in sudoers. please help me if any way that I can run command using help of "su -" My script for hosts in `cat hosts.txt`; do echo "###########################Server Name-... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
5 Replies
heimdal_debug(5)					      BSD File Formats Manual						  heimdal_debug(5)

NAME
heimdal_debug -- how to turn on/off debugging for Kerberos tools DESCRIPTION
The heimdal_debug kerberos frameworks have several knobs for controlling logging. The different framework knobs are: libkrb The Kerberos library, some gss-api Kerberos output ends up here too kcm the kcm library (credentials cache, ntlm client) kdc the kerberos KDC output digest-service the digest service (ntlm server) CONFIGURATION FILE
[logging] <subsystem> = 0-/SYSLOG: and watch syslog for logging information. APPLE MAC OS X
First turn up syslog debugging sudo syslog -c 0 -d then you can see the syslog output in Console.app or by running syslog -w -k org.h5l.asl To enable more extensive debugging logging for each subsystem, use the following commands: Kerberos Library sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Kerberos logging -dict-add krb5 '0-/OSLOG:normal:' digest-server sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Kerberos logging -dict-add digest-service '0-/OSLOG:normal:' kcm sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Kerberos logging -dict-add kcm '0-/OSLOG:normal:' kdc sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Kerberos logging -dict-add kdc '0-/OSLOG:normal:' MIT Kerberos Shim defaults write com.apple.MITKerberosShim EnableDebugging -bool true GSS-API framework logging sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.GSS DebugLevel -int 10 Other options on Mac OS X Make the admin API pretend to the server even on client sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Kerberos ForceHeimODServerMode -bool true SEE ALSO
gss(5), kerberos(8) HEIMDAL
Sep 30, 2011 HEIMDAL