Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris changing ip and hostname on solaris Post 302169969 by netwalker on Saturday 23rd of February 2008 10:04:49 AM
Old 02-23-2008
if you want to change IP and hostname without dealing with config files, you may use sysunconfig command. But it will require you to register again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what happen when changing Hostname?

I 'm using RH 7.2 Genome in the Network Configuration I change therer are two places one for static hostname for my machine and in DNS hostname I don't know what happen when restarting my PC when connecting using dialer I can't browse the Internet also I can't use sendmail .......Server timeout... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hostname lost when changing user

Hello to all, Does anyone have a clue for the following problem? When I enter into a terminal console window logged as axadmin user, what I find in the prompt is: “axadmin@sunhost$”. But, when I switch to root user, with the command “su -“ and enter the correct password, user root is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_BR
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to stop DHCP from changing hostname

Hi, greetings. I have installed OS 10 on sunfire 240. FOr now let dhcp to give IP address but it keeps chaning hostname. How do I stop this? thanks Jaya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr76413
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing IP & hostname

I have to do this twice. First, A) change IP address, subnet & default gateway. then a few days later B) change IP address again (same subnet & gateway) & hostname. (why twice? To get the vlan stuff out of the way in advance) what is the best way to do A? can all be done through... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
5 Replies

6. Solaris

hostname on Solaris

Hi All, I am wondering how does the hostname command decides what is the actual hostname. Where does the command take the information from? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmishkind
7 Replies

7. Solaris

changing hostname on Solaris 8 ?

hi, does anyone had experience changing hostname on Solaris 8 ? any idea how is it done ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
4 Replies

8. Solaris

SVM - Metadevices are offline after changing hostname solaris x86

Hi , We are facing an issue on one of our solaris x86 server, After changing the hostname and a orderly reboot , all metadevices shows offline. please let us know the steps to restore back all metadevices to working state with this new hostname (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick.sh
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - How to get IP Address from a hostname?

We are using Solaris as our database OS. Can you please help me to know how can i get the IP address of a solaris machine in my network from its hostname? e.g. We have a remote database server with the hostname as xyz. Without connecting to the database OS, can i get the IP address of xyz OS from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anmol Sharma
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris Hostname

Hi, I am installing Solaris 11.3 as a local system using no remote connections. The installer asks for a computer name or would be used as the hostname. Can I select any name ? Like solaris 11 or localhost ? I noticed this is added into the /etc.hosts file later. ie example. localhost ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dylan69
2 Replies
FEMAIL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 FEMAIL(8)

NAME
femail -- accept mail on behalf of a real MTA SYNOPSIS
femail [-46tv] [-f from] [-F name] [address ...] DESCRIPTION
femail is intended to be used on servers that do not run a real MTA or inside chroot(8) environments. It features a sendmail(8)-compatible command line interface and forwards mail via SMTP to the host given in the config file, an environment variable or localhost. The options are as follows: -4 Only use IPv4. -6 Only use IPv6. -F name Set the sender's name to name. -f from Set the sender address to from. Normally, femail tries to parse the sender from the message, and uses login@hostname if that is not present. -t Read recipients from the message given on stdin, in addition to the recipients given on the command line. -v Enable verbose operation. CONFIG FILE
The config file, /etc/femail.conf, consists of simple name=value pairs. The supported settings are as follows: smtphost Specify the server femail should send the messages to. smtpport Specify the port femail uses on smtphost to send the messages. Default is 25. myname The hostname femail uses. Defaults to the machine's hostname. ENVIRONMENT
SMTPHOST Forward mail to the given host instead of the local host. Only consulted when not set in the config file. SMTPPORT Connect to the given port instead of 25. Only consulted when not set in the config file. SEE ALSO
mail(1), sendmail(8) AUTHORS
femail was written by Henning Brauer. BSD
August 9, 2005 BSD