Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers script to count a word in a flie Post 302169657 by kanu_kanu on Friday 22nd of February 2008 01:29:46 AM
Old 02-22-2008
find / -name "*.log" -exec grep -c "Pass" {} \;

Last edited by kanu_kanu; 02-22-2008 at 02:36 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count word

hi, given a file i need to get the first line and secodn line and count each of the line whether the length of first line and second line is the same i don;t know how to get the length of the line...seems like use 'wc' cannot do it... please advice (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ariuscy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

trying to create a script to read a flie and loop a command...

Tried to explain this earlier, but did a poor job of it. So I am trying again but taking a different approach..... I have a file called test_words. In this file I have one line with 5 three letter words, with a single space seperating the words.(I.e., "dog car mop red pin") I want to create a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Italy87
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

trying to create a script to read a flie and loop a command...

I tried to explain this earlier, but did a poor job of it. So I am trying again but taking a different approach..... I have a file called test_words. In this file I have one line with 5 three letter words, with a single space seperating the words.(I.e., "cat car mop red pin") I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Italy87
5 Replies

4. Fedora

word count wc

could someone explain this please. echo aaaa|wc -c 5 echo aaaa|wc -m 5 But I'd expect the count to be 4 Its SunOS 5.8 Thanks in Advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting - write a script that will count the number of times a particular word

hello everyone, I'm trying to learn some scripts but i cant get my head around two of them. 1. how can i write a script that will count the number of times a particular word is used in file? 2. how can i make a script that will take me to a web page from unix? if anyone could help it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count word occurrences, but exclude some?

I am trying to count the occurrences of ALL words in a file. However, I want to exclude certain words: short words (i.e. <3 chars), and words contained in an blacklist file. There is also a desire to count words that are capitalized (e.g. proper names). I am not 100% sure where the line on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cronk
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word Count In A Script

I am in need of a basic format to 1. list all files in a directory 2. list the # of lines in each file 3. list the # of words in each file If someone could give me a basic format i would appreicate it ***ALSO i can not use the FIND command*** (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: domdom110
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to check word count of each word in file

I am trying to figure out to find word count of each word from my file sample file hi how are you hi are you ok sample out put hi 1 how 1 are 1 you 1 hi 1 are 1 you 1 ok 1 wc -l filename is not helping , i think we will have to split the lines and count and then print and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies
IPESCRIPT(1)						      General Commands Manual						      IPESCRIPT(1)

NAME
ipescript - Run an Ipe script (written in Lua) SYNOPSIS
ipescript script { arguments } DESCRIPTION
ipescript runs an Ipe script written in Lua. The Ipe bindings are automatically available in the script. Ipescript looks for the script in any of the script directories. The script argument should not contain the .lua extension. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
ipescript respects the following environment variables: IPELATEXDIR the directory where ipetoipe runs Pdflatex. IPESCRIPTS a list of directories where Ipescript will look for scripts. When this variable is not set, Ipe searches first the current directory, then ~/.ipe/scripts, and finally the system-wide Ipe script directory. When this variable is set, it should contain a list of directories, separated by semicolons. A single under- score is replaced by the system-wide Ipe script directory. IPEDEBUG set this to 1 for debugging output from ipescript. AUTHOR
Otfried Cheong REPORTING BUGS
Please report bugs using Ipe bugzilla at http://ipe7.sourceforge.net/bugzilla.html SEE ALSO
Ipe is documented fully in The Ipe Manual, which is available online at http://ipe7.sourceforge.net/manual/manual.html . August 28, 2011 IPESCRIPT(1)