Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ascii to caracter
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ascii to caracter Post 302169595 by joeyg on Thursday 21st of February 2008 04:27:30 PM
Old 02-21-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver use the tr function

>echo "g" | tr '[a-y]' '[b-z]'
>h

or

>trchar="j"
>echo $trchar | tr '[a-y]' '[b-z]'
>k

This would work for 25 letters of the alphabet

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

ASCII file

I've been having trouble trying to read an ASCII file. I'm on an IRIX machine, by the way. I've tried "cat" and I get a bunch of unreadable text, and the "string" command gets the "Command not Found" error. Please advise. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sherbet808
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ascii

a silly question but is there a way to display individual ascii values say if i type 65 it will display the letter instead? thanks fo any help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melkor
3 Replies

3. Programming

Extended ascii

Hi all, I would like to change the extended ascii code ( 128 - 255). I tried to change LC_ALL and LANG in current session ( values from locale -a) and for no good. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avis
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

code ASCII for Caracter -->> '

I'm a question: the expresiion 'expr $a +1' use the caracter --> ' (is not shift+ ? !!!) what is the code ascii for generate this caracter ?????? tank's (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

binary to ascii

Hi, Is there a way to convert the binary file to ascii . the binary file is pipe delimited. from source the file(pipe delimited) is ftped to mainframe and from mainframe it is ftped to the unix box using binary format. Is there a way to change it back to ascii and view it? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a line last caracter

Hello dears, I have a CVS file in wich a have many lines. each line is ended by this two caracters ';;'. I want to get a new format of this file by deleting this caracters which unix shell script eg. of input file: a;b;c;d;; a;b;c;; a;b;; a;b;c;d;e;; That means each line lenght can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
2 Replies

8. Programming

Hexadecimal to ascii

Let's suppose i have a hexadecimal array with 16 cells.for example b3e2d5f636111780 i want to convert it to an array of ascii characters(in C) so that i can reduce total size of the file i want to put it in. But i am afraid i have not fully understand the difference between ascii and hex(i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash ascii

hi guys In my bash script I need to use ascii characters such as SYN(22) and US(31). How do I echo them? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)