Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to change a specific character in a file Post 302169454 by sdubey on Thursday 21st of February 2008 10:58:22 AM
Old 02-21-2008
How to change a specific character in a file

Hi,

I have a data file with following structure:

a|b|c|d|3|f1|f2|f3
a|b|c|d|5|f1|f2|f3|f4|f5

I want to change this data to:

a|b|c|d|3|f1;f2;f3
a|b|c|d|5|f1;f2;f3;f4;f5

Data in column 5 tells the number of following fields. All fields delimiter after the 5th column needs to be changed to ";"

Please help how can this be done in any scripting language sed, awk or perl?

Regards

Sandeep

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

count occurences of specific character in the file

For counting the occurences of specific character in the file I am issuing the command grep -o 'character' filename | wc -w It works in other shells but not in HP-UX as there is no option -o for grep. What do I do now? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character(s) very large file

I'm trying to count the number of 2 specific characters in a very large file. I'd like to avoid using gsub because its taking too long. I was thinking something like: awk '-F' { t += NF - 1 } END {print t}' infile > outfile which isn't working Any ideas would be great. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File deliminated with | character - How do I change 1 value

Hi All, I'm struggling with a problem. Data file example: Brown|32 inches|apple|monkey Green|12 feet|grape|cat Blue|32 inches|banana|dog Black|23 inches|pear|horse I need to change the value '32 inches' in the third line, and only the third line, while keeping the rest of the file the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsmith_4242
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

change character(s) in specific column

Hi all! I need to change the final e every time when it is present in any word in column 1 to a; moreover, to change the final i again to a in any word in column 1, but just if word in column 2 begins with ha or si. Here below you can see a sample of my data: achwa ungeliachwa ungeli 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding a specific range of character in file

hi, I want to store from 102 character to 128 character to a variable of header record which can be identified as 'HDR' which is the first 3 characters in the same line of a same.txt file. Please advise. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File character adjustment based on specific character

i have a reqirement to adjust the data in a file based on a perticular character the sample data is as below 483PDEAN CORRIGAN 52304037528955WAGES 50000 89BP ABCD MASTER352 5434604223735428 4200 58BP SOUTHERN WA848 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pema.yozer
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of a specific line from a file

Hello guys, I would need to remove the last character ")" of a specific line. This can be from any line. Your help is appreciated. Below is the line. HOSTNAME=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)) Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sang8g
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add character to specific columns using sed or awk and make it a permanent change

Hi, I am writing a shell script where I want that # should be added in all those lines as the first character where the pattern matches. file has lot of functions defined a.sh #!/bin/bash fn a { beautiful evening sunny day } fn b { } fn c { hello world .its a beautiful day ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)