Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh: Comparing strings that contain spaces and working with substrings Post 302168845 by sb008 on Tuesday 19th of February 2008 02:01:12 PM
Old 02-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylt723
Forgive me. I am very new to kornshell scripts. The simplest things stop me dead in my tracks.

Here are two such examples.

I want to save the first 19 characters of the following string to a variable.

"Operation Completed and blah blah blah"

I know this works (from another thread):

mystring="Operation Completed and blah blah blah"
echo $mystring | cut -c 1-19

But I cannot figure out how to save the output of the result of the cut command to a variable.

So because I could not do that, I tried to compare the result of the cut command to a variable containing "Operation Completed", only I can't get the comparison to work. I keep getting :Operation not found when I run the following shell.

cstring="Operation Completed"
mystring="Operation Completed and blah blah blah"
echo $mystring | cut -c 1-19
if [[ "$cstring" = $($mystring | cut -c 1-19) ]]; then
echo "they match"
fi

Thanks in advance.
Code:
if [ "$cstring" = "$(echo $mystring | cut -c 1-19)" ]; then
  echo "they match"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking strings into Substrings

I'm only new to shell programming and have been given a task to do a program in .sh, however I've come to a point where I'm not sure what to do. This is my code so far: # process all arguments (i.e. loop while $1 is present) while ; do # echo "Arg is $1" case $1 in -h*|-H*) echo "help... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: switch
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two strings

Hi How do i compare two strings in shell script. Below is an example but I am not getting the desired output, plz help if then echo success fi I am not getting the desired output if I do this. plz help (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
24 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparing strings

I have two strings a=Mar22 b=may21 how can I compare them Is this fine if then; . ... else .... fi or if then (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakyaj
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Two Strings

Hi All, While I am trying to run below code I Am getting the exception like ./abs.sh: line 102: syntax error near unexpected token `then' ./abs.sh: line 102: ` then' The Code Snippet is: if then cat $file1 | sed -e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing 2 strings

hi i have 2 strings. i want to compare the strings. please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing filename-substrings and remove unnecessary files

hi folks... i have to write a sript that removes unnecessary backup-files. iam new to shell scripting so please be patient with me. and no its not homework :p these files look like "javacore303330.1209029863.txt" where the first number is the PID and the second is the timestamp. so there can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypher82
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two strings

hi All i am facing prob in comparing two strings that have two word. below is the code snippet. checkValidates="file validates" file3_name="file" if then echo "file" $file3_name "is validated successfully" fi when i run this i get the error as -bash: [: too many arguments ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh-script "arithmetic syntax error" comparing strings

Hi all, Iīve already searched the forum but canīt find what i am doing wrong. I am trying to compare two variables using ksh under red hat. The error I get is: -ksh: .: MDA=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_after_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 ` MDB=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_before_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_mike
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Split String into smaller substrings based on count

KSH HP-SOL-Lin Cannot use xAWK I have several strings that are quite long and i want to break them down into smaller substrings. What I have String = "word1 word2 word3 word4 .....wordx" What I want String1="word1 word2" String2="word 3 word4" String3="word4 word5" Stringx="wordx... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing multiple substrings for a match

I have a tab-delimited file containing a large genetic dataset with binary base calls, in this format: Chr7 26021407 1/1:0,0,0:5 1/1:0,0,0:5 1/1:0,0,0:5 Chr7 26022023 1/1:0,0,0:3 1/1:0,0,0:3 1/1:28,3,0:5 Chr7 26022087 1/1:0,0,0:6 1/1:25,3,0:9 1/1:25,3,0:9 Chr7 26022656 1/1:0,0,0:3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ljk
1 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)