Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO System restarting itself every after 20-24 hours Post 302168392 by jgt on Monday 18th of February 2008 09:09:27 AM
Old 02-18-2008
Go to SCO's web site Panic/Crash Analysis if a dump is available.
Print this article.
The next time the system crashes,
When you reboot do not delete the dump.
When the system is up, run the following:

#crash -d /dev/swap

Follow the steps in the article to determine which program is causing the problem.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restarting a while loop

I have a monitoring script that checks on the content of an alert file, I'm doing some checks on weather I have already reported on the alert (there is one alert per file). If I find that the content is the same as before how can I stop and restart the loop until there is differences bewteen the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restarting a Crashed Process

Hello, I host a couple of Call of Duty gameing servers. There are some hackers who love the crash them. When they crash them it simply causes a segmentaion fault and kills the PID. I was wondering it you could help me write a script to simply restart the program after it has been crashed. The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restarting the Spooler

:confused: Everytime our UNIXWARE 7 Server is restarted we also have to restart the spooler. If the spooler is not restarted, print jobs get stuck in the queu. Once restarted by using the following command lpstop and lpstart everything works fine. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorgy
0 Replies

4. Solaris

server restarting

Hello people, My solaris server is rebooting, not sure how!!! Which log should I look in to? I checked /var/adm/messages and dmesg also. How do I check older dmesg logs? I checked lastlog and also ran the last command. Nothing useful pointing to why server rebooted. Also when server reboots I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcmrulzz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to list files between last 6 hours to 3 hours

Hi Frens, I want to list some files from a directory, which contains "DONE" in their name, i am receiving files every minute. In this i want to list all the files which are newer than 6 hours but older than 3 hours, of current time i dont want my list to contain the latest files which are ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prat007
4 Replies

6. Programming

Restarting the program

Hi, I use gfortran to run the code. Some times I need to stop the program and restart it. On restarting I need to run the program from the beginning. Is there any script or option available to restart the program from where it stopped? This script/option will be immensely useful for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpd25
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restarting a process

Hi, How is it possible to restart only your process. I can get the process killed but I am not able to start it. For eg : i first did this ps -ef|grep _out --displays all the process with _out in the name then I killed kill -15 36044 -- process id. Now how can i start the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TH3M0Nk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in restarting process

Hi friends, I have one unix command which is used to check the network status manually. followig is the command check_Network this command give follwoing status Network 1 is ok Network 2 is ok network 3 is ok network 4 is ok . . . . Network 10 is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
8 Replies

9. SuSE

Restarting syslog-ng

Environment: SUSE 10.3 I made a configuration change in '/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf' file in a server. An article found on web says "After the change '/etc/init.d/syslog-ng' should be restarted". But there is no 'syslog-ng' in /etc/init.d directory. What is syslog-ng or a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JDBA
4 Replies
crash(8v)																 crash(8v)

Name
       crash - what happens when the system crashes

Description
       This section explains what happens when the system crashes and shows how to analyze crash dumps.

When the system crashes voluntarily it prints a message on the console in the form:

panic: explanation

The  system takes a dump on a mass storage peripheral device or the network, and then invokes an automatic reboot procedure as described in
       Unless there is some unexpected inconsistency in the state of the file systems due to hardware or software failure, the system then resumes
       multi-user operations.  If auto-reboot is disabled, the system halts at this point.

The system has a large number of internal consistency checks; if one of these fails, it prints a short message indicating which one failed.

The  most  common cause of system failures is hardware failure.	In all cases there is the possibility that hardware or software error pro-
       duced the message in some unexpected way.  These messages are the ones you are likely to encounter:

IO err in push
       hard IO err in swap
	    The system encountered an error when trying to write to the paging device or an error in reading  critical	information  from  a  disk
	    drive.  Fix your disk if it is broken or unreliable.

timeout table overflow
	    Due to the current data structure, running out of entries causes a crash.  If this happens, make the timeout table bigger.

Exception Condition
	    An unexpected system error has occurred.  The exception types are as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------
	    Mnemonic   Description
	    INT        External interrupt
	    MOD        TLB modification exception
	    TLBL       TLB miss exception (load or instruction fetch)
	    TLBS       TLB miss exception (store)
	    AdEL       Address error exception (load or instruction fetch)
	    AdES       Address error exception (store)
	    IBE        Bus error exception (for an instruction fetch)
	    DBE        Bus error exception (for a data load or store)
	    Sys        Sys call exception
	    Bp	       Breakpoint exception
	    CpU        Coprocessor unusable exception
	    Ovf        Arithmetic overflow exception

KSP not valid
	      This indicates either a problem in the system or failing hardware.

init died
	      The  system initialization process has exited.  The only solution is the automatic reboot procedure described in Until this is done,
	      new users cannot log in.

When the system crashes, it attempts to write an image of memory into the back end of the primary swap area.  After the system is rebooted,
       the  program  runs  and	preserves  a  copy  of	this core image and the current system in a specified directory for later access.  See for
       details.

To analyze a dump, you should begin by running with the flag on the core dump.

See Also
       dbx(1), reboot(8), savecore(8)

RISC								 crash(8v)