Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming execl() + redirecting output to text files Post 302168244 by pflynn on Sunday 17th of February 2008 07:26:15 PM
Old 02-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGoh
The standard output is the place where all output of any c program is directed to (i.e. the place where all printf() calls have the text displayed ) ?
Yes, you are right!

Quote:
Standard output (stdout)

Standard output is the stream where a program writes its output data. The program requests data transfer with the write operation. Not all programs generate output. For example the file rename command (variously called mv, move, ren) is silent on success.

Unless redirected, standard output is the text terminal which initiated the program.

The file descriptor for standard output is 1 (one); the corresponding <stdio.h> variable is FILE* stdout; similarly, the <iostream> variable is std::cout.
Pay attention to this part:

Quote:
Unless redirected, standard output is the text terminal which initiated the program.
which is exactly what you want to do: you want to open a file so the ls program would write its output to this file instead of writing it to the terminal that's originally associated to the standard output.

More information on the standard streams:

Standard streams
Standard streams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting output to multiple log files?

If I wanted to redirect output to multiple log files, what would be the best way to do that? echo "Unix is awesome" >>unixgod.log >>unixgod.log (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting OUTPUT

Hi, I want to move the output of a command/script to a file as well as to to be displayed on stdout. Can anybody help me in this. Thanks in advace .. -Chanakya M (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting echo output to 2 flat files

Hello all, I have the following 2 questions.. 1) I would like to capture the output of an echo command to 2 different files at the same time. This does not seem to work. Any ideas? echo ==== started on `date` ==== >> res1.log res2.log 2) Would it be possible to just get the 5th... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting to different output files with awk.

Well, it didn't take me long to get stumped again. I assure you that I'm not mentally deficient, just new to scripting. So, here's the gist. I want to redirect output from awk based off of which branch of an if-else statement under which it falls. #!/bin/bash #some variables... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikesimone
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

write execl output to file

hi, how to write the resullt of execl() into another file. i used write(fd,execl()); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mahendravarma
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting script output

Hello, I am interested in taking the output from a script i wrote and using it as input to a different script i wrote. So for example i want to take the output from program2 and use it as a parameter for program1. I didnt think i could use the >> symbols because i think that is just for .txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GmGeubt
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the output

For example, if we run the below command, symcfg list -thin -pool , results in an output most of the times and if the out is generated i'm able to redirect the output to a file. but sometimes it doesnt result any output and even though the output is being redirected, i can see "No Thin Pools "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: web2moha
2 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Redirecting grep output to multiple files

Hi All, I am trying to redirect the grep output to multiple files, can you please help with that. Below is the command im using to match my pattern grep \<proxyType\>$PxyType $DIR/EndureFiles.json > File_Name*.json Note : $DIR and $PxyType is already defined in my script Im able... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Print Error While Redirecting output in multiple Files

Hi, I have a following code in which I am unable to redirect to multiple files. Can anybody please help with some corrections awk -F, '{ if ( substr($1,26,2)=="02" && substr($1,184,14)=="MTSCC_VALFIRST") { array1++ array2++ array3++ } else if (substr($1,26,2)=="03" &&... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the results to different output files

Hi All, I am trying a shell script and need your help on taking the results to different output files. I have tried the below code: nawk ' {CNF = (length()-10)/7 printf "%9s", substr ($0, 1, 9) for (i=0; i<=CNF; i++) T = substr ($0, 10+i*7, 7) TMP = 100 - (T + T + T + T + T + T + T + T... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
24 Replies
STDIN(P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							  STDIN(P)

NAME
stderr, stdin, stdout - standard I/O streams SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> extern FILE *stderr, *stdin, *stdout; DESCRIPTION
A file with associated buffering is called a stream and is declared to be a pointer to a defined type FILE. The fopen() function shall cre- ate certain descriptive data for a stream and return a pointer to designate the stream in all further transactions. Normally, there are three open streams with constant pointers declared in the <stdio.h> header and associated with the standard open files. At program start-up, three streams shall be predefined and need not be opened explicitly: standard input (for reading conventional input), standard output (for writing conventional output), and standard error (for writing diagnostic output). When opened, the standard error stream is not fully buffered; the standard input and standard output streams are fully buffered if and only if the stream can be determined not to refer to an interactive device. The following symbolic values in <unistd.h> define the file descriptors that shall be associated with the C-language stdin, stdout, and stderr when the application is started: STDIN_FILENO Standard input value, stdin. Its value is 0. STDOUT_FILENO Standard output value, stdout. Its value is 1. STDERR_FILENO Standard error value, stderr. Its value is 2. The stderr stream is expected to be open for reading and writing. RETURN VALUE
None. ERRORS
No errors are defined. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
None. APPLICATION USAGE
None. RATIONALE
None. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
fclose() , feof() , ferror() , fileno() , fopen() , fread() , fseek() , getc() , gets() , popen() , printf() , putc() , puts() , read() , scanf() , setbuf() , setvbuf() , tmpfile() , ungetc() , vprintf() , the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <stdio.h>, <unistd.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 STDIN(P)