Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Killing of a process and send a mail if the process doesnot come up within 2 minutes Post 302167881 by fimblo on Friday 15th of February 2008 06:10:23 PM
Old 02-15-2008
what script languages do you have at your disposal? the bourne shell family (sh ksh bash zsh)? or cshell family (csh tcsh)? Or can you live with perl?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

killing process, from who -uH, at different termnals

in aix, do a who -uH, by seeing the pts/number, we can do a ps -ef | grep pts/number to see what processes the terminal is running, then how do we kill them? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. AIX

killing a process from a script

Hey all. I'm brand new to this forum and am looking for some help. I have a script that verifies that the backup tapes are working correctly. Basically is uses 1 command: restore -xpqvf > rootvglog I use this for each volume group that we have. We run this everyday but the problem is, we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

killing a process

I can kill running processes on my linux red hat system using ctrl-c but cannot do it from command line of another terminal using kill -2 pid. Although I can kill them from command line using kill -9 pid and other signals. I would like to do it using the kill -2 pid. Thanks for your suggestions (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbhayana
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

killing the process

Hi, First, I am running a scipt.While the script is running I realize that I dont want the script to be run so I am killing the script externally.Before the process gets terminated or killed it should delete all the temporary files created by the script.How to do this?Can anyone help me? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing process and children

Hi all, I have been searching all day for a nice solution to this problem. I have three scripts. A start script, a child script and a stop script. Script A (scripta.sh) Its Child Script B (scriptb.sh) Script C (kill_process.sh $PID) Script A correctly traps the kill command sent from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing process!!!!

Hi friends, i m in big trouble.... i have one script which connects two server ...like below.. script1.sh ------------------------------------- bash test.sh & eval x=$@ export x=`echo $x` #echo $x # ssh user@8.2.5.6 bash /mbbv/location/script.sh $x|sed '/Binary file/d'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shahul
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing the process ID's

Hi , I have a list of application process id's. Is there a way to kill all the process listed below using the script, except the once which are starting with " Genesis " adm 1522 ABC_Process.tra adm 1939 Genesis_Process.tra adm 2729 Genesis_Archive.tra adm 3259 xyz_Process.tra (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali1687
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to monitor some UNIX process and send notification in every 10 minutes?

Hi Unix Members, Can anyone guide me to write one shell script to monitor the attach screen processes and when interrupted mail us. , like the processes - /bin/ciserver , /bin/clock , /bin/cserver , /bin/main Please looking forward you guys help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biswajitnitd
6 Replies
MAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MAIL(1)

NAME
mail - send and receive electronic mail SYNOPSIS
mail [-dpqrv] [-f file] [user] OPTIONS
-d Force use of the shell variable MAILER -f Use file instead of /usr/spool/mail/user as mailbox -p Print all mail and then exit -q Quit program if SIGINT received -r Reverse print order, i.e., print oldest first -v Verbose mode EXAMPLES
mail ast # Send a message to ast mail # Read your mail DESCRIPTION
Mail is an extremely simple electronic mail program. It can be used to send or receive email on a single MINIX system, in which case it functions as user agent and local delivery agent. If the flag MAILER is defined in mail.c, it can also call a transport agent to handle remote mail as well. No such agent is supplied with MINIX. When called by user with no arguments, it examines the mailbox /usr/spool/mail/user, prints one message (depending on the -r flag), and waits for one of the following commands: <newline> Go to the next message - Print the previous message !command Fork off a shell and execute command CTRL-D Update the mailbox and quit (same as q) d Delete the current message and go to the next one q Update the mailbox and quit (same as CTRL-D) p Print the current message again s [file] Save message in the named file x Exit without updating the mailbox To send mail, the program is called with the name of the recipient as an argument. The mail is sent, along with a postmark line containing the date. For local delivery, a file named after the recipient in the directory /usr/spool/mail must be writable. If the directory /usr/spool/mail does not exist then the mail is dumped on the console, so that system programs have a way to notify a user on a system that does not have a mail spool. MAIL(1)