Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cat files Post 302167851 by sandeep78 on Friday 15th of February 2008 04:14:28 PM
Old 02-15-2008
Thank you, I tried your script.
It is working close to what I need.
I tweaked it a bit to meet my exact requirements.

Thanks again
-Sandeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb008
Very basic script, no error checking etc etc ect.

Script takes 1 parameter, number of output files needed,

Script assumes all files which should be concatenated start with input_

Script assumes all files are in the current directory.

Should be easy to change the script into something more luxerary, it just presents a concept.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
NUMOUT=${1}

NUMFILES=`ls input* | wc -l`

((IN_PER_OUT=${NUMFILES} / ${NUMOUT} + 1))

CURRENT=1
OUT=1
ls input* | while read FILE
do
  if [ ${CURRENT} -eq 1 ]
  then
    cat ${FILE} > output_${OUT}.txt
  else
    cat ${FILE} >> output_${OUT}.txt
  fi

((CURRENT=${CURRENT}+1))
  if [ ${CURRENT} -gt ${IN_PER_OUT} ]
  then
    CURRENT=1
    ((OUT=${OUT}+1))
  fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH CAT Two files into one

Quick question, File A has one line (10 charachters), File B has one line (10 charachters). how do a concat these two files together to produce a file (File C) that has the contents of Files A + B together onto one line of 20 Charachters if I use: cat FileA FileB > FileC I get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshelluser
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat /proc/ files

Hi, I need to write a shell script that should lists only the files that starts with alphabet from the /proc dir and then I have to cat those files and redirect to a file. But my below script is not working. It is reading the first file properly but not the subsequent files. Please throw a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat files in different directories

i have data files in different directories like /jadat /cadat etcc... i have list of this directories in a file files. content of files: ja ca directories: /jadat /cadat file in each of these directories natt_trans_like.dat i need to loop though each directory for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat certain files in directories to files named after the dir?

Hi all, I have a directory with many subdirectories each named like so: KOG0001, KOG0002, ...KOG9999. Each of these subdirectories contain a variable number two kinds of files (nuc and prot) named like so: Capitella_sp_nuc_hits.fasta (nuc) and Capitella_sp_prot_hits.fasta (prot). The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit files with cat

Hi, sometimes one wants to edit files while still seeing output of earlier commands in terminal. I've found out that cat test && cat - >> test does the trick for displaying file content and adding lines but I believe I saw a much cooler command that was also able to erase lines from files. I cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarleo
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using cat on specific files only

I am concatenating txt-files using cat: cat *.txt > file.dat However, the same directory has the installation instructions included, which is also a txt file: install.txt I currently have the install.txt file renamed to install._txt, but I prefer a solution using regular expressions. Is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files situation

Hello, I am PhD student (Biomedical sciences) and very new to Linux. I need some help with the following task : I have files in the following format for their names : An_A1_nnn_R1.txt; An_A1_nnm_R1.txt; An_A1_nnoo_R1.txt An_A2_nnn_R1.txt; An_A2_nnm_R1.txt; An_A2_nno_R1.txt ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Julio Finalet
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CAT 3 files with the same name in 3 different folders

I am trying to cat 3 files. They all have the same name MFExtract.txt. But, they are in 3 seperate file names. Any idea how I could cat the 3 together. It's throwing me off figuring out a way because the names are the same. I was thinking just doing a 3 cat commands with the full path names and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risarose87
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat N files in a folder

I am new to Linux and I am trying to cat only N files in a folder. N is dynamically given number at runtime. If I give N as 2 then cat only 2 files in the folder and If I give N as 5 then cat only 5 files in the folder. Is there any way to do that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMusunuru
6 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2009-11-24 Test::Script(3)