Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cat files Post 302167851 by sandeep78 on Friday 15th of February 2008 04:14:28 PM
Old 02-15-2008
Thank you, I tried your script.
It is working close to what I need.
I tweaked it a bit to meet my exact requirements.

Thanks again
-Sandeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb008
Very basic script, no error checking etc etc ect.

Script takes 1 parameter, number of output files needed,

Script assumes all files which should be concatenated start with input_

Script assumes all files are in the current directory.

Should be easy to change the script into something more luxerary, it just presents a concept.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
NUMOUT=${1}

NUMFILES=`ls input* | wc -l`

((IN_PER_OUT=${NUMFILES} / ${NUMOUT} + 1))

CURRENT=1
OUT=1
ls input* | while read FILE
do
  if [ ${CURRENT} -eq 1 ]
  then
    cat ${FILE} > output_${OUT}.txt
  else
    cat ${FILE} >> output_${OUT}.txt
  fi

((CURRENT=${CURRENT}+1))
  if [ ${CURRENT} -gt ${IN_PER_OUT} ]
  then
    CURRENT=1
    ((OUT=${OUT}+1))
  fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH CAT Two files into one

Quick question, File A has one line (10 charachters), File B has one line (10 charachters). how do a concat these two files together to produce a file (File C) that has the contents of Files A + B together onto one line of 20 Charachters if I use: cat FileA FileB > FileC I get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshelluser
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat /proc/ files

Hi, I need to write a shell script that should lists only the files that starts with alphabet from the /proc dir and then I have to cat those files and redirect to a file. But my below script is not working. It is reading the first file properly but not the subsequent files. Please throw a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat files in different directories

i have data files in different directories like /jadat /cadat etcc... i have list of this directories in a file files. content of files: ja ca directories: /jadat /cadat file in each of these directories natt_trans_like.dat i need to loop though each directory for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat certain files in directories to files named after the dir?

Hi all, I have a directory with many subdirectories each named like so: KOG0001, KOG0002, ...KOG9999. Each of these subdirectories contain a variable number two kinds of files (nuc and prot) named like so: Capitella_sp_nuc_hits.fasta (nuc) and Capitella_sp_prot_hits.fasta (prot). The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit files with cat

Hi, sometimes one wants to edit files while still seeing output of earlier commands in terminal. I've found out that cat test && cat - >> test does the trick for displaying file content and adding lines but I believe I saw a much cooler command that was also able to erase lines from files. I cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarleo
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using cat on specific files only

I am concatenating txt-files using cat: cat *.txt > file.dat However, the same directory has the installation instructions included, which is also a txt file: install.txt I currently have the install.txt file renamed to install._txt, but I prefer a solution using regular expressions. Is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files situation

Hello, I am PhD student (Biomedical sciences) and very new to Linux. I need some help with the following task : I have files in the following format for their names : An_A1_nnn_R1.txt; An_A1_nnm_R1.txt; An_A1_nnoo_R1.txt An_A2_nnn_R1.txt; An_A2_nnm_R1.txt; An_A2_nno_R1.txt ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Julio Finalet
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CAT 3 files with the same name in 3 different folders

I am trying to cat 3 files. They all have the same name MFExtract.txt. But, they are in 3 seperate file names. Any idea how I could cat the 3 together. It's throwing me off figuring out a way because the names are the same. I was thinking just doing a 3 cat commands with the full path names and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risarose87
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat N files in a folder

I am new to Linux and I am trying to cat only N files in a folder. N is dynamically given number at runtime. If I give N as 2 then cat only 2 files in the folder and If I give N as 5 then cat only 5 files in the folder. Is there any way to do that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMusunuru
6 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-cat(1)