Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting put an interactive script in background after taking input Post 302167829 by joeyg on Friday 15th of February 2008 02:46:56 PM
Old 02-15-2008
Tools What are you trying to accomplish?

Take input.. for example a location code
wait (or, submit to background)

After you input, couldn't you just call another script/program (and put that in the background if need be)?

After input of data, to pass data to other program you could:
1) export the variable
2) pass the variable as a parameter
3) write the variable to a file, and read in called program

Perhaps a little more detail on what you are trying to do.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive ftp get/put

Hi All, I'm trying to get this to work but when I execute it I get the following error ./ftp_upload.sh: line 78: syntax error: unexpected end of file. This was working before I expanded the script and had the here document part directly below within a function. Can anyone spot what I've... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darrenm
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

3. Programming

Run interactive program in background and grep it

I need to run an interactive program in the background so I can grep it for specific data to use for some logic in a script. There is no quiet or background mode on the program so I plan to redirect a document with commands in it and then to grep the output. This is almost working, except... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: doonan_79
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files older than x days and also taking an input for multiple paths

Hi , I am a newbie!!! I want to develop a script for deleting files older than x days from multiple paths. Now I could reach upto this piece of code which deletes files older than x days from a particular path. How do I enhance it to have an input from a .txt file or a .dat file? For eg:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive script with background

I have script, which need some variable from user and i use below command for this read this script works fine while running without background, but when i run this script in background, it ask first variable then immediately it show below error KSH variable not found please let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
1 Replies

6. Linux

Not able to put ls -lR command in background

Hi All, i am trying to put ls -lRt command to run in the background but it fails. i continue to get output on screen and didnt get the command prompt right after i put the command in background. command i am using is ls -lRt & i am using bash. Can someone let me know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux Console for Interactive Input Script

Hi there, How do I enter command to the interactive console. I was able to do it via the first line. What if I have more lines to input into the interactive console from line 3 onwards. Is there a more easier way? (echo -e "load openvas" ; echo -e "openvas_help") | msfconsole ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put currently running script into background

Hi All, Suppose I have a script and inside it I want/need to put it into background. I need the script to not react to SIGHUP signals. I tried: #!/bin/bash echo "" > test_disown mypid=$$ echo "PID=$mypid" ( kill -SIGSTOP $mypid jobs > myjobs #disown -h <job-spec> #kill -SIGCONT $mypid )... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in taking input Shell script

I was writing a shell script, where i need to run a command through script and then take input from user and later terminate it. i am not sure how to take input in a proper format immediately after a command. example: below command line is used to import some data in to database (LDAP)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mridul17
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recording user input from interactive shell script

Hello, I want to start out by saying that I am fairly new to scripting and am looking for someone that can point me in the right direction. Basically what I need is a way to run a interactive script that will prompt users with questions weather that be yes/no or a specific answer.. I want to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoutcast
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)