Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extraction of last but one char Post 302167326 by bakunin on Thursday 14th of February 2008 05:34:12 AM
Old 02-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
A more general solution using sed is
You are right of course. I wouldn't have limited it if the thread-starter wouldn't have explicitly stated that the character could only be "N" or "U".

Perhaps it is a matter of programming philosophy (which is not the topic of this thread - at least not directly), i would prefer my solution over the general one followed by a line catching all the lines not matched by my solution to point them out as suspicious - lines which "shouldn't exist" at all.

The point is: if a specification says that the specific character can only be "N" or "U", then i would like to be informed if a line with neither "N" or "U" on it comes up. Maybe the specification has changed, maybe my script is faulty, maybe some pre-processing steps producing the lines are faulty - whatever. At least there is *something* that might have to be dealt with.

With all due respect
bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extraction from a tape

Hi, I have a backup on tape which was done by tar by someone else. How can I extract it now ? I know tar -xf for the tar file on disk but for the tar file on a tape, how should I do ? Many thanks before. PS : uname -a AIX server12 5 00545FFA4C00 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction of last but one char in a line

I need to extract the character before the last "|" in the following lines, which are 'N' and 'U'. The last "|" shouldn't be extracted. Also the no.s of "|" may vary in a line, but I need only the character before the last one. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hidnana
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex extraction

Hello, I need your help to extract text from following: ./sherg_fyd_rur:blkabl="R23.21_BL2008_0122_1" ./serge_a75:rlwual="/main/r23.21=26-Mar-2008.05:00:20UTC@R11.31_BL2008_0325" ./serge_a75:blkabl="R23.21_BL2008_0325" ./sherg_proto_npiv:bkguals="R23.21_BL2008_0302 I80_11.31_LR" I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdurrouf
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace any char with newline char.

Hi, How to replace any character in a file with a newline character using sed .. Ex: To replace ',' with newline Input: abcd,efgh,ijkl,mnop Output: abcd efgh ijkl mnop Thnx in advance. Regards, Sasidhar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightysam
5 Replies

5. Programming

Adding a single char to a char pointer.

Hello, I'm trying to write a method which will return the extension of a file given the file's name, e.g. test.txt should return txt. I'm using C so am limited to char pointers and arrays. Here is the code as I have it: char* getext(char *file) { char *extension; int i, j;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
5 Replies

6. Programming

concat const char * with char *

hello everybody! i have aproblem! i dont know how to concatenate const char* with char const char *buffer; char *b; sprintf(b,"result.txt"); strcat(buffer,b); thanx in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how first char in odd line and second char in even line

Hi I m having ifconfig -a o/p like sbanlab1:ksh# ifconfig -a | egrep "flags|inet" | awk -F' ' '{print $1,$2}' lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> inet 127.0.0.1 lo0:1: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> inet 127.0.0.1 bge0:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction

I have following input @xxxxxx@ I want to extract what's between @....@ that is : xxxx using SED command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
6 Replies

9. Programming

error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

Compiling xpp (The X Printing Panel) on SL6 (RHEL6 essentially): xpp.cxx: In constructor ‘printFiles::printFiles(int, char**, int&)’: xpp.cxx:200: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ The same error with all c++ constructors - gcc 4.4.4. If anyone can throw any light on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
8 Replies

10. Programming

Invalid conversion from char* to char

Pointers are seeming to get the best of me and I get that error in my program. Here is the code #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #define REPORTHEADING1 " Employee Pay Hours Gross Tax Net\n" #define REPORTHEADING2 " Name ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Plum
1 Replies
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3perl)			 Perl Programmers Reference Guide		       CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3perl)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract - internals for archive extraction SYNOPSIS
### for source files ### $self->_gunzip( file => 'foo.gz', output => 'blah.txt' ); ### for modules/packages ### $dir = $self->_extract( module => $modobj, extractdir => '/some/where' ); DESCRIPTION
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract extracts compressed files for CPANPLUS. It can do this by either a pure perl solution (preferred) with the use of "Archive::Tar" and "Compress::Zlib", or with binaries, like "gzip" and "tar". The flow looks like this: $cb->_extract Delegate to Archive::Extract METHODS
$dir = _extract( module => $modobj, [perl => '/path/to/perl', extractdir => '/path/to/extract/to', prefer_bin => BOOL, verbose => BOOL, force => BOOL] ) "_extract" will take a module object and extract it to "extractdir" if provided, or the default location which is obtained from your config. The file name is obtained by looking at "$modobj->status->fetch" and will be parsed to see if it's a tar or zip archive. If it's a zip archive, "__unzip" will be called, otherwise "__untar" will be called. In the unlikely event the file is of neither format, an error will be thrown. "_extract" takes the following options: module A "CPANPLUS::Module" object. This is required. extractdir The directory to extract the archive to. By default this looks something like: /CPANPLUS_BASE/PERL_VERSION/BUILD/MODULE_NAME prefer_bin A flag indicating whether you prefer a pure perl solution, ie "Archive::Tar" or "Archive::Zip" respectively, or a binary solution like "unzip" and "tar". perl The path to the perl executable to use for any perl calls. Also used to determine the build version directory for extraction. verbose Specifies whether to be verbose or not. Defaults to your corresponding config entry. force Specifies whether to force the extraction or not. Defaults to your corresponding config entry. All other options are passed on verbatim to "__unzip" or "__untar". Returns the directory the file was extracted to on success and false on failure. perl v5.14.2 2014-09-29 CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3perl)