Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell program in unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell program in unix Post 302166939 by nivas on Wednesday 13th of February 2008 05:37:29 AM
Old 02-13-2008
Iam having the following situation:

Iam reading one file and taking that line one by one and searching that word in file2 using grep command

read_file1()
{
cat file1| while read line
do
grep $line file2 >> outputfile.dat
done
}

now iam having file 1
q
q
a
s
d

file2
q
q
q
a
s
d

Iam reading file1 and greping that word in file2

Since the file 1 has duplicates, output file is like

q
q
q
q
q
q
a
s
d

I want to avoid this duplicates in output file.

Can anybody help??
nivas

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp files from Unix to Windows through shell program

Hi, I made a shell script to allow user to ftp file to windows shared drive. Here is part of my code within my shell script: /usr/bin/ftpmtc $usr $pswd $jobno Within 'ftpmtc': #ARGUMENT: USER,PASWD,JOBNO,VER,LOG_DATE,$$ $UCB/echo "user $1 $2" > $inst_file $UCB/echo "cd prod" >> $inst_file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program

How to write a shell script which takes 3 strings as positional parameters,first and second are file names and third is a directory.if the two files exist in `pwd` and they contain a specific pattern and their size is greater than 32 bytes,moves these files into directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameshparsa
1 Replies

3. Programming

Returning Strings from C program to Unix shell script

Hi, Iam calling a C program from a Unix shell script. The (C) program reads encrypted username/password from a text file , decrypts and returns the decrypted string. Is there any way i can return the decrypted string to Unix shell program. My shell script uses the output of the program to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: satguyz
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with shell program

I want to print the value of variables a1, a2, a3 in for loop in the following program: a1=this a2=is a3=printed for((i=1;i<4;i++)) do var=a$i #w=`echo $var` e=${var} echo $e done But actually I get a1,a2,a3 as the output not the "this is printed" So the main question is if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adgarg
3 Replies

5. Programming

Returning Strings from C program to Unix shell script

Hi, I'm having a requirement where I need to call a C program from a shell script and return the value from the C program to shell script. I refered a thread in this forum. But using that command in the code, it is throwing an error clear_text_password=$(get_password) Error: bash:... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesh_sasi
24 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell program in unix

Hi, Iam having file 1 and file 2 as follows: file1 file2 a a a b a c b c I want to get an output file which contains a a (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivas
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program , need help!!

Hi all, I am trying to get a file from an ftp server and i have the list of files which needs to be get from the ftp server. grep unix_prg*.* log.txt > log1.txt log1.txt (which has the list of files) 06-29-09 00:00AM 3550258 unix_prg090629 06-28-09 07:00PM ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav1982
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix shell program that reverse a string...

Thanks so much vivekraj (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrew1400
0 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell program in C

Hi all, I have an assignment from school to write a shell program in linux. the idea is to exercise fork() and execv() functions.. the shell program is supposed to be the master and every command that the user prints will run in a new process. we also need to try running the command in every... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r3vive
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute a unix shell script from a java program

Hi All, well , i am facing this problem.. i have tried a few sample codes but there isn't any solution . could anyone please give a sample code as of how to do this... Please see the below details...and read the details carefully. I have written some code, logic is 1)from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
4 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -exEX3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 The -E and -X are similar to -e and -x, respectively, but treat overlapping changes (i.e., changes that would be flagged with ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines from both files will be inserted by the edit script, bracketed by "<<<<<<" and ">>>>>>" lines. For example, suppose lines 7-8 are changed in both file1 and file2. Applying the edit script generated by the command "diff3 -E file1 file2 file3" to file1 results in the file: lines 1-6 of file1 <<<<<<< file1 lines 7-8 of file1 ======= lines 7-8 of file3 >>>>>>> file3 rest of file1 The -E option is used by RCS merge(1) to insure that overlapping changes in the merged files are preserved and brought to someone's atten- tion. FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/libexec/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 DIFF3(1)