Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: process image + definition
Top Forums Programming process image + definition Post 302166758 by JamesGoh on Tuesday 12th of February 2008 05:37:41 PM
Old 02-12-2008
process image + definition

Ive seen this word being popped up whenever I read the Unix man description of the exec() family of functions. What exactly does it refer to, as I can't seem to comprehend how processes would have an image ?

cheers

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

image process under linux

hello, i am going to work on image process under linux ... can someone give me some advices? really thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kangc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Create an Ignite image on tape from Online IgniteUX image

Hi, (HP-UX 11.11) I need to create a tape image of an igniteUX image created on our igniteUX server. That is to say. I have a "Online" image of the igniteUX of the targeted system but I now need to copy it to a useable TAPE (igniteUX) image so i can build an other server from it that is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

daemons definition

hi there, can somebody give me a definition for daemons, or example what are they !! and what the use for? i've done some research and all what i found is /etc/... or /usr/bin/... and i haven't quietly got the concept. any ideas !! Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Definition of $-

Could someone please direct me to a link that gives the definitions for each of the letters from the results of the $- environment variable? It would be nice to know what shell options each of the letters represents, but I am specifically looking for the shell option for 'c' (lowercase c). Thank... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszd
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching image files to create one image

Hi, I have two sets of image files. Both sets have names A to Z but set 1 ends with .cdt.png and set 2 ends with .matrix.png. I want set 1 to match with set 2 if the names match (i.e. A.cdt.png will match with A.matrix.png) and with the convert image tool (program for images), it will merge the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
6 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Definition of Bytes

A byte is the smallest unit of storage which can be accessed in a computer's memory- either in RAM or ROM.It also holds exactly 8 bits.But its old view one byte was sufficient to hold one 8 bit character.Modern days especially on .NET or international versions of Win 32, 16 bits is needed. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stoudtLion
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable definition

Hi all, I'm bit new to the advanced bash shell scripting. When I'm looking at some of the existing code in my organization, got confused with a few variable definings. For ex: var1={1:-30} var2="abc def ghi" var3={xyz:-$var2} In above, 1st and last lines are confusing me.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Image build process

What are the requirements to build an image in solaris ? Could you please some one explain this.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramagore85
1 Replies

9. Programming

Get struct definition

I have many headers with huge amount of structures in them, typical one looks like this: $ cat a.h struct Rec1 { int f1; int f2; }; struct Rec2 { char r1; char r2; }; struct Rec3 { int f1; float k1; float ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
6 Replies
FORK(2) 							System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork - spawn new process SYNOPSIS
fork( ) DESCRIPTION
Fork is the only way new processes are created. The new process's core image is a copy of that of the caller of fork. The only distinc- tion is the fact that the value returned in the old (parent) process contains the process ID of the new (child) process, while the value returned in the child is 0. Process ID's range from 1 to 30,000. This process ID is used by wait(2). Files open before the fork are shared, and have a common read-write pointer. In particular, this is the way that standard input and output files are passed and also how pipes are set up. SEE ALSO
wait(2), exec(2) DIAGNOSTICS
Returns -1 and fails to create a process if: there is inadequate swap space, the user is not super-user and has too many processes, or the system's process table is full. Only the super-user can take the last process-table slot. ASSEMBLER
(fork = 2.) sys fork (new process return) (old process return, new process ID in r0) The return locations in the old and new process differ by one word. The C-bit is set in the old process if a new process could not be cre- ated. FORK(2)