Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting substr() limitations in "AWK" program..!!! Post 302166553 by thana on Tuesday 12th of February 2008 06:44:30 AM
Old 02-12-2008
substr will return the substring of the string provided. I am not clear wether you want to use this function or the index function

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any limitations to the "top" command?

Anyone know of any limitations? Also, does anyone know a great way to determine which processes are hogging CPU? TIA (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
6 Replies

2. Programming

how could i make a program mixed with many "|", "<" and ">"

I have written following code to do: ls -l | wc -w, it works: but when there are not only a single "|", if there are more such as: ls -l | sort -r | sort | sort -r, This program does not work, i want to know how could i deal with it when there are more "|", another situation is that, if it mixes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: strugglingman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for saving vertical datas to horizontal with "awk" or "cut"

hi, i have a file having datas like that ./a.txt 12344 12345 12346 12347 ..... ..... ... i want to save this datas to another file like that ./b.txt 12344 12345 12346 12347 ... ... ... i think awk can make this but how? :) waiting for ur help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mercury
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl file, one line code include "length, rindex, substr", slow

Hi Everyone, # cat a.txt a;b;c;64O a;b;c;d;ee;f # cat a.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $tmp3 = ",,a,,b,,c,,d,,e,,f,,"; open(my $FA, "a.txt") or die "$!"; while(<$FA>) { chomp; my @tmp=split(/\;/, $_); if ( ($tmp =~ m/^(64O)/i) || ($tmp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Suggestion: adding two new groups "sed" and "awk"

Majority of the questions are pertaining file/string parsing w.r.t sed or awk It would be nice to have these two as their own sub category under shell-programming-scripting which can avoid lot of duplicate posts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jville
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
STRSTR(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 STRSTR(3)

NAME
strstr, strcasestr - locate a substring SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char *strstr(const char *haystack, const char *needle); #define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <string.h> char *strcasestr(const char *haystack, const char *needle); DESCRIPTION
The strstr() function finds the first occurrence of the substring needle in the string haystack. The terminating null bytes ('') are not compared. The strcasestr() function is like strstr(), but ignores the case of both arguments. RETURN VALUE
These functions return a pointer to the beginning of the substring, or NULL if the substring is not found. CONFORMING TO
The strstr() function conforms to C89 and C99. The strcasestr() function is a nonstandard extension. BUGS
Early versions of Linux libc (like 4.5.26) would not allow an empty needle argument for strstr(). Later versions (like 4.6.27) work cor- rectly, and return haystack when needle is empty. SEE ALSO
index(3), memchr(3), rindex(3), strcasecmp(3), strchr(3), string(3), strpbrk(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strtok(3), wcsstr(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2011-09-28 STRSTR(3)