Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: splitting the files
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users splitting the files Post 302166481 by sharif on Tuesday 12th of February 2008 03:25:02 AM
Old 02-12-2008
splitting the files

Hi,
How can i split the big file by the lines?. For eg. I wanna split the file from the line 140 to 1700.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting the files

Hi, I'am using HP-UX.I have a input file which has 102 drop statements in it.I'am using csplit to split the files.The upper limit is 99 only.I'am using the -n 102 option.It says "suffix size not vaild".Any suggestions how to do it using csplit? Thanx in advance, sounder. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sounder123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large files

Hi Unix gurus, We have a masterfile which is to be split into smallerfiles with names as masterfile00,masterfile01,masterfile03...etal I was able to split the file using the "Split" cmd but as masterfileaa,masterfileab.. Is it posiible to change the default suffix? or is there any other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rvbs
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

splitting the files

Hi, I have some files with 2 million odd records which i need to split into chunks of 0.5 millions. I have the file sorted with a key column in order. The same key value can appear as 4 or 5 records in the file. Hence after splitting we are checking whether all the key values are present in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting files from one file

Hi, I have an input file like: 111 abcdefgh asdfghjk dfghjkl 222 aaaaaaa bbbbbb 333 djfhfgjktitjhgfkg 444 djdhfjkhfjkghjkfg hsbfjksdbhjkgherjklg fjkhfjklsahjgh fkrjkgnj I want to read this input file and make separate output files with the header as numric value like "111"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saltysumi
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting Files Help

Hi Gurus, Lets say i have a file with some 30 records... How can i split that file into 3 files Also it shud be dynamic in the sense.. I wouldnt mind if file 1 has 15, file 2 has 10 and file 3 has 5.... Please help.. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting files

Hello all I have a file which has around 80 million records, I want to split it to 12 equal files, I tried using the split command but it is allowing me to split according to number of lines or by size. Is there a way i can split the file into 12 files without worrying about the number of lines... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting files into 100 files with field value

I want a script to split my file upon the last field (15) As file A,b,c,.......,01 C,v,n,.......,02 C,r,v,........,01 F,s,a,........,03 X,y,d,........,99 To make output 01.txt A,b,c,.......,01 C,r,v,........,01 02.txt C,v,n,.......,02 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting log files

I am trying to split my IRSSI logs into weekly and monthly .log files. My log format looks like this: --- Day changed Fri Mar 04 2016 00:11 <Jack> Test --- Day changed Sat Mar 05 2016 00:11 <Jack> Test --- Day changed Sun Mar 06 2016 15:20 <Jack> Test The script I have been playing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stacked
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
split(1)							   User Commands							  split(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-linecount | -l linecount] [-a suffixlength] [ file [name]] split [ -b n | nk | nm] [-a suffixlength] [ file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads file and writes it in linecount-line pieces into a set of output-files. The name of the first output-file is name with aa appended, and so on lexicographically, up to zz (a maximum of 676 files). The maximum length of name is 2 characters less than the maximum filename length allowed by the filesystem. See statvfs(2). If no output name is given, x is used as the default (output-files will be called xaa, xab, and so forth). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -linecount | -l linecounNumber of lines in each piece. Defaults to 1000 lines. -a suffixlength Uses suffixlength letters to form the suffix portion of the filenames of the split file. If -a is not specified, the default suffix length is 2. If the sum of the name operand and the suffixlength option-argument would create a filename exceeding NAME_MAX bytes, an error will result; split will exit with a diagnostic message and no files will be created. -b n Splits a file into pieces n bytes in size. -b nk Splits a file into pieces n*1024 bytes in size. -b nm Splits a file into pieces n*1048576 bytes in size. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of the ordinary file to be split. If no input file is given or file is -, the standard input will be used. name The prefix to be used for each of the files resulting from the split operation. If no name argument is given, x will be used as the prefix of the output files. The combined length of the basename of prefix and suffixlength cannot exceed NAME_MAX bytes. See OPTIONS. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of split when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of split: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csplit(1), statvfs(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 16 Apr 1999 split(1)