Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: High memory usage in AIX 5.1
Operating Systems AIX High memory usage in AIX 5.1 Post 302166372 by dukessd on Monday 11th of February 2008 07:29:43 PM
Old 02-11-2008
Seems you have nothing to wory about there mate.
As rvegmond said AIX just uses memory like that.
If it isn't paging then there is nothing to worry about, AIX is just using the available physical memory to cache filesystem instead of keep waiting to write it in and out of disk space.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory Usage in AIX

Hi All, I have a question, can you guys please help me by giving your valuable suggestons: I am using AIX 5L, running oracle 7 version. I need to increase the oracle memory to 40 MB more. Currently Oracle occupies 260M. I wanted to know whether I can increase the memory without any problem.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kollam68
1 Replies

2. AIX

Memory Usage in AIX

Hi All, I have a question, can you guys please help me by giving your valuable suggestons: I am using AIX 5L, running oracle 7 version. I need to increase the oracle memory to 40 MB more. Currently Oracle occupies 260M. I wanted to know whether I can increase the memory without any problem.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kollam68
3 Replies

3. AIX

Memory usage on AIX

How to check the memory usage on AIX by various processes? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aajmani
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory usage shown is high

Hello all, I am facing a memory related issue on my linux that is CentOS 4.0. What I see as an output of top command, free command is that memory usage is almost 90% which is quite high without much load on the system. This is continuously showing 90% or so of memory usage with top or free... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
2 Replies

6. AIX

AIX memory usage always high

hi, I want to ask , my AIX 6.1 is always used about 97% memory. Is this normal ? or any command can free up memory like Linux ? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: virusxx
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in high memory usage alert script

can any one please help me to shell script high memory usage alert (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
6 Replies

8. AIX

High Paging when lots of free memory AIX 5.3

I am new to AIX, I have few AIX 5.3 servers and I could see there are significant difference in paging space utilization on servers even though they are running same applications below server is working fine which shows 2-5 % paging usage throuh out the day cpu_scale_memp = 8... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibish
12 Replies

9. Red Hat

Swap memory usage is high in Linux

Hi , There is one following alert . Message : cdm:Average (2 samples) swap memory usage is now 91%, which is above the warning threshold (90%) Here is my findings. Output of TOP command in Linux server. top - 14:21:44 up 6 days, 4:48, 1 user, load average: 2.55, 2.06,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Troubleshooting sudden high memory usage

Hi, This morning there was an app that caused a sudden spike in I/O and memory usage in the server. We found the reason for the I/O, however the memory spike was something new, as it had never happened before. I figured out what caused the memory spike, however, how do I investigate why... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
6 Replies
SWAPON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon - specify additional device for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
swapon -a swapon name ... DESCRIPTION
Swapon is used to specify additional devices on which paging and swapping are to take place. The system begins by swapping and paging on only a single device so that only one disk is required at bootstrap time. Calls to swapon normally occur in the system multi-user initial- ization file /etc/rc making all swap devices available, so that the paging and swapping activity is interleaved across several devices. Normally, the -a argument is given, causing all devices marked as ``sw'' swap devices in /etc/fstab to be made available. The second form gives individual block devices as given in the system swap configuration table. The call makes only this space available to the system for swap allocation. SEE ALSO
swapon(2), init(8) FILES
/dev/[ru][pk]?b normal paging devices BUGS
There is no way to stop paging and swapping on a device. It is therefore not possible to make use of devices which may be dismounted dur- ing system operation. swapon is not implemented in 2.11BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 SWAPON(8)