Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password issue
Operating Systems HP-UX Password issue Post 302166116 by aldosfox on Monday 11th of February 2008 02:46:53 AM
Old 02-11-2008
I need to make in normal mode because right now the unix servers(11i) cannot communicate with BackupExec 11d. It is authentication issue between unix and BackupExec. After communicating with Symantec technical support, they ask to return the etc/passwd as a normal encryption and not * as my first post. Please guide me how to do this because I'm a beginner in Unix.
Thanks,

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp password issue

I think I may have put this in the wrong forum earlier the script that follows is an extract from a post someone gave as an answer to a question on ftp within a script /usr/bin/ftp ftpsiteaddress <<END verbose on bin user username password cd <directoryname> put <filename> mput... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henrik
3 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

root Password ... strange issue

hi there , :cool: um facing a problem with my root passwd i want to set my root password and when i do i get the following :: # # passwd passwd: Changing password for root New Password: Re-enter new Password: passwd(SYSTEM): They don't match. Please try again New Password:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrali
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg : telnet password issue

Hi All, I am working on AIX 5.3. My requirement is to telnet to a server and scp a file from another server In my shell script i am using telnet to enter to a server and i am echoing the password as below echo open $Infahost sleep 1 echo $Infaftplogin sleep 1 echo $Infaftppasswd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Expired - cfmupdatenode issue

Afternoon All Has anyone seen this type of thing before. Basically we had an issue where an ID that has db2 connect access tried to make the db connection and got an " Attempt to establish connection failed with security reason "1" ("PASSWORD EXPIRED"). SQLSTATE=08001" error. This I know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philib
0 Replies

5. Solaris

NIS password file update issue

Hi Our nis server running on Sun solaris 8 operating system. I have added a new user in the nis passwd file & when I am trying to update the file from nis server by using following command: # cd /var/yp # make updated passwd It updates the passwd file but does not come back to command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dolphin
3 Replies

6. AIX

AIX password issue

Hi, My server is an AIX server. Whenever a new user is created through smitty, the first time he logs in, he has to change his password. But i want to disable it and to enable the password expiry to a month. (i.e) after every month, he has to change his password. Any help in this matter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

SSH password login issue

Hi All, I am facing issue in setting up passwordless login through ssh on two Solaris-10 boxes. user-id ravrwa from server tsapiq04-zrwdq01 should be able to login to server tsbrit03 as cpsuserq, which is not happening. I am not sure where is the problem, while keys are already all set. Here is... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH - Password Protected Directory Issue

I dug myself a hole yesterday that I can't seem to get myself out of. In a very futile attempt to create a new FTP user with limited access via SSH, I inadvertently changed permissions for who knows what and now I am having a problem accessing password protected directories. When I enter the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HiddenColors
1 Replies

9. SuSE

SSH issue - can't get password less login to work

Hello, I can't seem to get the password less login to work on one of my SLES 11 servers. My ssh agent lets me login to all my other servers, which are Solaris 10, RHEL 5, and SLES 11 servers. Some servers mount my home directory and others don't. The server that I'm having an issue with doesn't... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
7 Replies
WPA_BACKGROUND(8)														 WPA_BACKGROUND(8)

NAME
wpa_background - Background information on Wi-Fi Protected Access and IEEE 802.11i WPA
The original security mechanism of IEEE 802.11 standard was not designed to be strong and has proven to be insufficient for most networks that require some kind of security. Task group I (Security) of IEEE 802.11 working group (http://www.ieee802.org/11/) has worked to address the flaws of the base standard and has in practice completed its work in May 2004. The IEEE 802.11i amendment to the IEEE 802.11 standard was approved in June 2004 and published in July 2004. Wi-Fi Alliance (http://www.wi-fi.org/) used a draft version of the IEEE 802.11i work (draft 3.0) to define a subset of the security enhancements that can be implemented with existing wlan hardware. This is called Wi-Fi Protected Access<TM> (WPA). This has now become a mandatory component of interoperability testing and certification done by Wi-Fi Alliance. Wi-Fi provides information about WPA at its web site (http://www.wi-fi.org/OpenSection/protected_access.asp). IEEE 802.11 standard defined wired equivalent privacy (WEP) algorithm for protecting wireless networks. WEP uses RC4 with 40-bit keys, 24-bit initialization vector (IV), and CRC32 to protect against packet forgery. All these choices have proven to be insufficient: key space is too small against current attacks, RC4 key scheduling is insufficient (beginning of the pseudorandom stream should be skipped), IV space is too small and IV reuse makes attacks easier, there is no replay protection, and non-keyed authentication does not protect against bit flipping packet data. WPA is an intermediate solution for the security issues. It uses Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) to replace WEP. TKIP is a compro- mise on strong security and possibility to use existing hardware. It still uses RC4 for the encryption like WEP, but with per-packet RC4 keys. In addition, it implements replay protection, keyed packet authentication mechanism (Michael MIC). Keys can be managed using two different mechanisms. WPA can either use an external authentication server (e.g., RADIUS) and EAP just like IEEE 802.1X is using or pre-shared keys without need for additional servers. Wi-Fi calls these "WPA-Enterprise" and "WPA-Personal", respec- tively. Both mechanisms will generate a master session key for the Authenticator (AP) and Supplicant (client station). WPA implements a new key handshake (4-Way Handshake and Group Key Handshake) for generating and exchanging data encryption keys between the Authenticator and Supplicant. This handshake is also used to verify that both Authenticator and Supplicant know the master session key. These handshakes are identical regardless of the selected key management mechanism (only the method for generating master session key changes). IEEE 802.11I / WPA2 The design for parts of IEEE 802.11i that were not included in WPA has finished (May 2004) and this amendment to IEEE 802.11 was approved in June 2004. Wi-Fi Alliance is using the final IEEE 802.11i as a new version of WPA called WPA2. This includes, e.g., support for more robust encryption algorithm (CCMP: AES in Counter mode with CBC-MAC) to replace TKIP and optimizations for handoff (reduced number of mes- sages in initial key handshake, pre-authentication, and PMKSA caching). SEE ALSO
wpa_supplicant(8) LEGAL
wpa_supplicant is copyright (c) 2003-2007, Jouni Malinen <j@w1.fi> and contributors. All Rights Reserved. This program is dual-licensed under both the GPL version 2 and BSD license. Either license may be used at your option. 07 November 2012 WPA_BACKGROUND(8)