Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot run Shell script in PHP Post 302165620 by V3l0 on Friday 8th of February 2008 10:01:34 AM
Old 02-08-2008
The first time you use 'sudo', you have to give the root password ... Smilie

So, I think your script is waiting for the password.

Why do you want to do a 'sudo' ???

NB: "sudo -u root" & "sudo" is the same I think ... Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Run a shell script from Perl script in Parent shell?

Hi Perl/UNIX experts, I have a problem in running a shell script from my perl script (auto.pl). I run the perl script using perl auto.pl from the shell prompt The shell script picks the files in "input" folder and procesess it. The shell script blue.sh has this code. export... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: hifake
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call shell script from php not run ?

Hi. I write a shell script for import data to oracle using sql loader. I set permission 755 or 777 for that script. I can run that script in the consol okay. When I call it from PHP using system command. I got return value 126 this value when don't have permission right ? I check step... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raccsdl
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script to Auto Run PHP Script

Hello All! I am looking to build a monitoring script. The script should always run as a system service of some type and should always check that a PHP script is running. Maybe there is a way to assign a PHP script to a certain PID so that the monitor script that check for the PID in top... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elDeuce
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need to make a shell script run for ffmpeg vhook watermaking in shell

i have a small problem getting a batxh shell script to run in shell this is the code the problem seems to be centered around the ffmpeg command, something maybe to do with the ' ' wrapping around the vhook part command this is a strange problem , if i take the ffmpeg command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingchun22
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

General Q: how to run/schedule a php script from cron jobs maybe via bash from shell?

Status quo is, within a web application, which is coded completely in php (not by me, I dont know php), I have to fill out several fields, and execute it manually by clicking the "go" button in my browser, several times a day. Thats because: The script itself pulls data (textfiles) from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dry run php script from shell

Is it possible to dry run a php script without actually executing it? Say I need to test the output of a php file to see if it matches a pattern. I need to run this on all php files on the server. But I fear if there are php files that make modifications, sends out mail etc, that should not happen.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request to check run php in Unix shell

Hi I m running a php file in Unix shell it says php cpmmnad not found bash-3.2$ cat echo.php <? php echo"heelo world" >? bash-3.2$ php echo.php bash: php: command not found actually I want to change certain thing a in a website using php script so I m beginner and trying... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

php file unable to run shell script with arguments

echo $result=exec("./permit.sh".$_FILES); pls suggest some other method to run shell script in php .:wall::mad: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: upvan111
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
sudo_root(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      sudo_root(8)

NAME
sudo_root - How to run administrative commands SYNOPSIS
sudo command sudo -i INTRODUCTION
By default, the password for the user "root" (the system administrator) is locked. This means you cannot login as root or use su. Instead, the installer will set up sudo to allow the user that is created during install to run all administrative commands. This means that in the terminal you can use sudo for commands that require root privileges. All programs in the menu will use a graphical sudo to prompt for a password. When sudo asks for a password, it needs your password, this means that a root password is not needed. To run a command which requires root privileges in a terminal, simply prepend sudo in front of it. To get an interactive root shell, use sudo -i. ALLOWING OTHER USERS TO RUN SUDO
By default, only the user who installed the system is permitted to run sudo. To add more administrators, i. e. users who can run sudo, you have to add these users to the group 'admin' by doing one of the following steps: * In a shell, do sudo adduser username admin * Use the graphical "Users & Groups" program in the "System settings" menu to add the new user to the admin group. BENEFITS OF USING SUDO
The benefits of leaving root disabled by default include the following: * Users do not have to remember an extra password, which they are likely to forget. * The installer is able to ask fewer questions. * It avoids the "I can do anything" interactive login by default - you will be prompted for a password before major changes can happen, which should make you think about the consequences of what you are doing. * Sudo adds a log entry of the command(s) run (in /var/log/auth.log). * Every attacker trying to brute-force their way into your box will know it has an account named root and will try that first. What they do not know is what the usernames of your other users are. * Allows easy transfer for admin rights, in a short term or long term period, by adding and removing users from the admin group, while not compromising the root account. * sudo can be set up with a much more fine-grained security policy. * On systems with more than one administrator using sudo avoids sharing a password amongst them. DOWNSIDES OF USING SUDO
Although for desktops the benefits of using sudo are great, there are possible issues which need to be noted: * Redirecting the output of commands run with sudo can be confusing at first. For instance consider sudo ls > /root/somefile will not work since it is the shell that tries to write to that file. You can use ls | sudo tee /root/somefile to get the behaviour you want. * In a lot of office environments the ONLY local user on a system is root. All other users are imported using NSS techniques such as nss-ldap. To setup a workstation, or fix it, in the case of a network failure where nss-ldap is broken, root is required. This tends to leave the system unusable. An extra local user, or an enabled root password is needed here. GOING BACK TO A TRADITIONAL ROOT ACCOUNT
This is not recommended! To enable the root account (i.e. set a password) use: sudo passwd root Afterwards, edit the sudo configuration with sudo visudo and comment out the line %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL to disable sudo access to members of the admin group. SEE ALSO
sudo(8), https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo February 8, 2006 sudo_root(8)