Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk as grep with variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk as grep with variables Post 302165600 by pp56825 on Friday 8th of February 2008 09:10:08 AM
Old 02-08-2008
Thanks, it's working

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep with variables

Being new to shell scripting I hope this question isn't too elementary but here goes. I run a grep statement - grep 'sqr' sqrmodule.par and the grep statement returns correctly the information that I'm looking for. Now I want to take the output from the grep statement and load it into a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gettingstarted
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

3. Programming

Grep with C variables.

Hi all, I have a problem, I need a grep -v but, the patterns of the grep should be C variables. Example: char var1="h"; char var2="o"; char var3="d"; system("grep -v \"var1 var2 var3\" file.txt"); ---- ---- ---- I try it but... Can u help me? Thanks beforehand P.S. Sorry for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbelBs
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep variables nested within grep

Help, I have a ksh script that has some variables within the grep command, I am then setting another variable that greps the variables that have greps within them. cat $WORKINGDIR/meter_list.txt | while read meter do serialnum=$(cat masterlogfile.txt | grep "$meter" | awk '{ print $19 }'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srichard9
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and variables ?

I would like to know if grep can extract the following requirement. I have the folllowing piece of SQL in a file and need to grep the FROM part. mp db-ter-fast-export C100_Input_Target_Table__table_ "${DB}"'/teradata.dbc' -select 'SELECT UPPER(trim(proj_id)) as proj_id, latest_job_id,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anduzzi
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk or grep with Variables in a script

Good day Geeks, Am having an issue with using variables in a rather simple script, the script is as follows: #!/bin/bash ### Script written by Adigun Gbenga ### Date: April 28, 2012 array=( 1 2 3 4 5 29 7 8 9... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help] Grep, Variables, IF statements... Fun

Hello, this will be my first post. I've been browsing around for a bit and have found a lot of useful information on here, hopefully a solution can be provided to me. Issue: Alright, I am looking to search for strings within a file using variables. I have a script that will accept 3 or 4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JonLaberge
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using $variables in grep

Hi, I'm currently trying to use variables in grep on my script. Printing the variable via echo works fine. Also, if I hard coded the date of the appointment it works just fine. But, if I try to use the $DATE as an argument in grep it doesn't do anything. #!/bin/bash DATE=${2}/${3}/${1} ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuclearpenguin
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)