Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help needed urgently
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help needed urgently Post 302165583 by matrixmadhan on Friday 8th of February 2008 08:34:29 AM
Old 02-08-2008
Quote:
alarm=`cat ~/alkatel.txt
Where is the closing ticks "`" ? Was that by mistake

Please refrain from usage of statements like
- Very urgent help
- waiting for your reply

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script needed urgently

Hi Frends, I am need of a small shell script. Kindly any body help me by giving me a small shell script to read first line in a file and extract date from the first line and store it in a variable... and after storing it in a variable the first and the last line of the file has to be deleted..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vas_dba
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major Help Urgently Needed!!!!

Right deleted Linux partition usig windows then went to format c:\ but had to exit window now pc ONLY boots into GNU Grub. Does anyone know how to format the hard drive now????? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billett05
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help urgently

Hi to All, I m a regular visitor of this site but this one is my first thread . Although I ve tried but I cant find the solution .:confused: I ve number of files having extension .file., which having some define statement in it.The files consits as follows Ex:- abc.file `define ADCONV0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help NEEDED urgently on exceutable file

Hi , i amtrying to execute a file called bcs_maint which is the final executable for our project. Normally on some other servers ican execute it by just typing bcs_maint. yesterday i got a new worksattion for me and when i do the same it says /sbin/sh: bcs_maint : not found. What... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagan_kalluri
5 Replies

5. Solaris

most urgently about pc-routing

Hi I have knowledge is a little about Solaris 10. I have problem route Question I have two lan interfaces nge0 >> 192.168.1.1 / 24 and link up Client1 >> 192.168.1.10 not out internet (GW 192.168.1.254) nge1 >> 192.168.50.220 /24 and link up Client50 >> 192.168.50.1 can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sermsuk
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help needed Urgently... Thanks in advance

You have a file called /opt/test/input.txt with the following information: man_aa_bld_100.410.040_CMD 08/14/2008 23:29:21 08/14/2008 23:31:10 SU 5339491/1 man_aa_bld_100.410.050_CMD 08/14/2008 23:29:21 08/14/2008 23:31:11 SU 5339491/1 man_aa_bld_100.410.060_CMD 08/14/2008 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkumsi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need urgently....

I am new to shell scripting I am getting file sample.txt from mainframes to my unix machine Mon-Fri every 15 minutes from 9:00AM to 6:00PM. I need to Compare timestamp of sample.txt against system time via a Unix script kicked off by an Autosys job My Task is to write a shell script to monitor... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinniforu2003
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please correct my script - Needed very urgently

hello all, I have a script, used to search for the strings from the set of 5 similar pattern file from the log dir. So here it goes . The input parameter is a part of the file name. When during the script execution, the script should parse the input parameter to original file's with the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed urgently. Look back for files in PERL

I have 3 variables $file =abc_2011_11_01.txt (current day file) $back = Yes $forward = No I need to search for 3 days back files / 3 days forward files if my current file is not present logic is, I need to download the current day file. If it is missing, i need to look out for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need answers urgently!!

hello guys!! need 1 favour from u all.. Can u jst tell me the answers for these ques?? 1. ls - l _____ : command to return all files that end with single digit and those with TXT extension 2. ls -l report* _______ : command to return all files that start with the word RPT except those with LOG... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gan_7
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)