Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I better group my output? Post 302165339 by llsmr777 on Thursday 7th of February 2008 01:20:09 PM
Old 02-07-2008
How can I better group my output?

I have a script that puts out a list that looks like this:

bb1 newyork
bb1 pittsburg
bb2 seattle
bb2 spokane
sl1 sacramento

I want to seperate the output so that it instead has a space between each group so like this:

bb1 newyork
bb1 pittsburg

bb2 seattle
bb2 spokane

sl1 sacramento

How can I do this?

Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help required to group output and print a part of group line and original line

Hi, Need awk help to group and print lines to format the output as shown below INPUT FORMAT set echo on set heading on set spool on /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T1; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T2; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T3; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T4; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T5;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

output of file from several machines written to network share, then emailed to group.

I have a script on all the machines on my network that lists how many updates are available for each machine, and then outputs the answer to a file called updates.txt the output shows the hostname and the number of updates, like: computer_A 7 I want all these machines to output the data to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group the output of the variable

Hi Guys, First time in scripting & first time here...:D I need help in this situation - My requirements is: I have a list e.g. list=`echo ls -l *` OR list=`sql.... select emp_id from employee ...` The Input is: ls -l OR emp_id A 4567 B 2231 C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvingo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to group the output of a loop

Hi Guys, This is based on my question previously posted. :) I have my shell script like this: #!/usr/bin/sh e_id=`sqlplus -s scott/tiger@DB<<eof SET PAGESIZE 0 FEEDBACK OFF VERIFY OFF HEADING OFF ECHO OFF; select emp_id from employee; quit ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to group the output w/ limit

Hi All, Second time to post on this group :) I'm pulling my hair now 'coz I'm so dumb to produce this requirement. Requirement: I want to run a utility by limiting the no. inside my process (mov##) to be able to use in multi streaming. Here is my script: --Input: "user_list.txt"... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ID - output group-memberships one per line

Hello, I am currently a little bit lost with my new shell-script. I am trying to output the results of the "id"-command as a "one per line" statement. For example: I have the user "test" with the group-memberships "group1, group2, group3". When I enter "id test" it will show me the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: henryford
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multi-line output to a single line in a group

Hi, My Oracle query is returing below o/p ---------------------------------------------------------- Ins trnas value a lkp1 x a lkp1 y b lkp1 a b lkp2 x b lkp2 y ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvk25
7 Replies

9. Programming

Sql ORA-00937: not a single-group group function

I'm trying to return only one row with the highest value for PCT_MAX_USED. Any suggestions? When I add this code, I get the ORA-00937 error. trunc(max(decode( kbytes_max, 0, 0, (kbytes_alloc/kbytes_max)*100))) pct_max_used This is the original and returns all rows. select (select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
3 Replies
MEMBERS(1)						      General Commands Manual							MEMBERS(1)

NAME
members - outputs members of a group SYNOPSIS
members groupname DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the members commands. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. members is a program that sends a space-separated list of secondary member names to its standard output. OPTIONS
The programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -a, --all Show all group members on one line. This is the default. -p, --primary Show only primary group members. -s, --secondary Show only secondary group members. -t, --two-lines Send two lines to standard output. First line is primary members, second line is secondary members. NOTE: This always displays two lines, even if there are no members at all. -h, --help Show summary of options. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 (i.e. "success") if the group was found, and 1 (i.e., "failure") if the group was not found. Technically, the exit status hinges on the output of getgrnam(3) as follows: if getgrnam(3) returns a null pointer, the exit status is 1, and 0 otherwise. BUGS
I don't know of any! If you find one, please let me know! SEE ALSO
groups(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jim Lynch <jim@laney.edu>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). MEMBERS(1)