Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk - select from a list
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Awk - select from a list Post 302164797 by simha77777 on Wednesday 6th of February 2008 12:43:23 AM
Old 02-06-2008
Awk - select from a list

Hi all,

I am trying to select some columns from a file, based on the list of values.
Would like to know how best I can achive this.

If coulmn 1 has a value of 57 then print the ist column (This works)
Code:
awk -F'  ' '{if ( $1 == 57 ) {print $1}}' file.txt

Now my requirement is that I have to check the column with multiple values. (If I have 2 use an OR operator as below)
Code:
awk -F'  ' '{if ( $1 == 57 || $1 == 58) {print $1}}' file.txt

I have 100 values which I need to check with the first column. Is there a way to do this, without writing in 100 conditions in the if statement?
(I could put the 100 values into a file if that makes things easier)

Please let me know if you need more information. Any help greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reappearing menu list using select

is there a way I can make the menu list reappear when I use select ? ----- menulist="Change_title Remove_tag Change_tag Add_line Quit" select word in $menulist #change_title remove_tag change_tag add_line quit do case $word in # first menu option Change Title ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieve what the currently selected item is in a dropdown select list using perl tk

I have a dropdown menu built in perl tk (I am using active state perl). I want to select a value from the dropdown menu and I want to be able to perform some other actions depending upon what value is selected. I have all the graphical part made but I dont know how to get the selected value. Any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

select data from list

Hi! My data file contains a two columns list. It looks like: 1 3.789 2 6.789 3 7.890 4 8.900 5 6.789 6 1.987 7 10.987 8 2.987 9 0.987 I would like to create a new list using the awk command, just selecting data from the second column but also printing the first column. Let say I select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cris48
3 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Script to select a file from a list

i m trying to write a script that will print all the txt files at /home/ directory and will allow a selection of a file and then print the file name. this is what i wrote so far: echo "please select the file from the list " list=$(ls -f *.txt /home/) array=( ) for machine in $list doat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boaz733
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Like to select text in a From/To list

Hi I need help to configure AWK to find a string based From/To filed I have a table like this 0A00 - 0AFF Nuts 0B00 - 0BFF Bolt If I have in a program a value like "0B22" I wold like to get "Bolt" in return. List are in Hex Still try to learn AWK :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process select list of files and output to the same file?

Hi, I've a list of files ac_info.tps, subscription_array.tps, .......and many other files one of the file, bin_range_list.tps has the following content CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE "BIN_RANGE_LIST" AS TABLE OF BIN_RANGE_ELEM; / grant execute on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a multiple line list with the select command in ksh?

I copied the below program to play around with displaying a list of items using the select command in ksh. When I put all items in the same line, it works fine. I am trying to use multiple lines instead of a single row...my list is too large for a single line. How do I get the line continuation... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haganator
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select only the lines of a file starting with a field which is matcing a list. awk?

Hello I have a large file1 which has many events like "2014010420" and following lines under each event that start with text . It has this form: 2014010420 num --- --- num .... NTE num num --- num... EFA num num --- num ... LASW num num --- num... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select distinct sequences from fasta file and list

Hi How can I extract sequences from a fasta file with respect a certain criteria? The beginning of my file (containing in total more than 1000 sequences) looks like this: >H8V34IS02I59VP SDACNDLTIALLQIAREVRVCNPTFSFRWHPQVKDEVMRECFDCIRQGLG YPSMRNDPILIANCMNWHGHPLEEARQWVHQACMSPCPSTKHGFQPFRMA... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marion MPI
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting - Select multiple files from numbered list

I am trying to have the user select two files from a numbered list which will eventually be turned into a variable then combined. This is probably something simple and stupid that I am doing. clear echo "Please Select the Show interface status file" select FILE1 in *; echo "Please Select the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
3 Replies
NUMSUM(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 NUMSUM(1)

NAME
numsum - numsum program file SYNOPSIS
numsum [-iIcdhrsvxy] <FILE> | numsum [-iIcdhrsvxy] (Input on STDIN from pipeline.) numsum [-iIcdhrsvxy] (Input on STDIN. Use Ctrl-D to stop.) DESCRIPTION
numsum will take all the numbers on stdin and return the sum of those numbers. Currently it only processes the first number on each line. Besides positive numbers, it also handles negative numbers and numbers with decimals. OPTIONS
-i Only return the integer portion of the final sum. -I Only return the decimal portion of the final sum. -c Print out the sum of each column. -r Print out the sum of each row. -x <n> Specify a comma seperated list of columns to print. -y <n> Specify a comma seperated list of rows to print. -s <string> Specify a string to use as a seperator for columns. This defaults to be consecutive whitespace (s+). -h Help: You're looking at it. -V Increase verbosity. -d Debug mode. For developers -q Quiet mode, don't print any warnings. EXAMPLES
Simply add up the numbers in a file. $ numsum numbers.txt 4315 Enter your own numbers on STDIN. The last number is the answer. $ numsum 4 21 98 100 223 Use it in a command pipeline. $ ls -1s | grep .mp3 | numsum -c -x 5 72288 Add up the total byte count in a http log file. $ cat access_log | awk {'print $10'} numsum or numsum -c -x 10 access_log Add up the columns of numbers of a file. $ cat columns 1 6 11 16 21 2 7 12 17 22 3 8 13 18 23 4 9 14 19 24 5 10 15 20 25 $ numsum -c columns 15 40 65 90 115 Add up the 1st, 2nd and 5th columns only. $ numsum -c -x 1,2,5 columns 15 40 115 Add up the rows of numbers of a file. $ numsum -r columns 55 60 65 70 75 Add up the 2nd and 4th rows. $ numsum -r -y 2,4 columns 60 70 SEE ALSO
numaverage(1), numbound(1), numinterval(1), numnormalize(1), numgrep(1), numprocess(1), numrandom(1), numrange(1), numround(1) COPYRIGHT
numsum is part of the num-utils package, which is copyrighted by Suso Banderas and released under the GPL license. Please read the COPYING and LICENSE files that came with the num-utils package Developers can read the GOALS file and contact me about providing submitions or help for the project. MORE INFO
More info on numsum can be found at: http://suso.suso.org/programs/num-utils/ perl v5.10.1 2009-10-31 NUMSUM(1)