Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with selecting specific lines in a large file Post 302164733 by tansha on Tuesday 5th of February 2008 07:21:09 PM
Old 02-05-2008
Help with selecting specific lines in a large file

Hello,

I need to select the 3 lines above as well as below a search string, including the search string.

I have been trying various combinations using sed command without any success.

Can anuone help please.

Thanking

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent: selecting unique specific content of a file using shell script

Hi, I have a file whose content and format at places is as given below. print coloumn .... coloumn .... coloumn .... skip 1 line print coloumn ... skip 1 line I need to select the following : print coloumn .... coloumn .... coloumn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command for selecting specific lines from a script

I need help on following script: I need to print the lines which are in bold letters in separate file as record string("|") emp_name; string("|") emp_id; decimal("|") emp_salary; string("|") emp_status; string("\n") emp_proj; end (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gardasgangadhar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting Lines on text file

Hi All, I am creating a script that sends log data from text files to a Database and I will like to read sugestions, as I think that there might be better ways to achive this than with my shell script; maybe perl or I don't know, but I will like to read some sugestions. The log is from... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: oconmx
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines of a file

Say I wanted to select the 5th line of a file without knowing the context of the file. Would I use grep and pipe it into wc or is there a more simple way of doing this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting specific 'id's from lines and columns using 'SED' or 'AWK'

Hello experts, I am new to this group and to 'SED' and 'AWK'. I have data (text file) with 5 columns (C_1-5) and 100s of lines (only 10 lines are shown below as an example). I have to find or select only the id numbers (C-1) of specific lines with '90' in the same line (of C_3) AND with '20' in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamskamu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting specific fields in a file (maybe with sed?)

Hi, I have a file with following lines: chr1 10 AC=2;AF=1.00;AN=2;DP=2;Dels=0.00;HRun=0;HaplotypeScore=0.00;MQ=23.00;MQ0=0;QD=14.33;SB=-10.01 chrX 18 AB=0.52;AC=1;AF=0.50;AN=2;DP=203;DS;Dels=0.00;HRun=0;HaplotypeScore=20.01;MQ=15.63;MQ0=85;QD=12.80;SB=-1289.58 I need to extract 4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: menenuh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting and deleting specific lines with condition

I have a set of data as below: The first field, $1 represent "|". The $3 (3rd field) and $6 (6th field) in my data file represent "number-molecule" which has arrangement as below: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjramana
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk for selecting lines in a file avoiding repetition

Hello, I am using Awk in UBUNTU 12.04. I have a file as following with 48,432,354 lines and 4 fields. The file has this structure (There are repetitions of the first column in several lines) AB_14 S54 A G AB_14 S55 A A AB_14 S56 G G GO_15 S45 T A GO_15 S46 A A PT_16 S33 C C PT_16 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Selecting specific variable in log file

Hi there I am trying to look for a specific word in the log file and I am aware this can be done by grep for example. As there will be multiple entries for this I want to grep the last one to enter the log... how would I go about this - would I have to use tail? Thanks in advance Alex (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : Checking Large file for specific lines

Morning .. I have a file with approximately 1000 lines. I want to check that the file contains, for example, 100 lines. Something like whats given below is ugly. And even if I create a function I have to call it 100 times. I may need to look through multiple files at times. Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
4 Replies
look(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   look(1)

NAME
look - Finds lines in a sorted list SYNOPSIS
look [-df] [-tcharacter] string [file] The look command prints all lines in a sorted file that begin with string. OPTIONS
Uses dictionary order; only letters, digits, tabs, and spaces are used in comparisons. Searches without regard to case; treats uppercase and lowercase as equivalent. Ignores character and characters following it in the search string. If you specify look -tC ABCDE, the string ABCDE would become (in effect) AB, with CDE being ignored. This option is primarily for shell scripts, in which more than one string is being processed. DESCRIPTION
If no file is specified, look searches in the system word list /usr/share/dict/words, with the options -df assumed by default. The look command uses binary search. The -d and -f options affect comparisons as in sort. NOTES
In order to use the -f option, you must first sort file with the sort -f command; otherwise, look displays only lowercase items. If you do not specify -f, but specify a file (such as /usr/share/dict/words) that has been sorted with sort -f, look may not produce any output. EXAMPLES
To search a sorted file called sortfile for all lines that begin with the string as, enter: look as sortfile To search the system word list for all words beginning with smi, enter: look smi This might result in: smile smirk smith smithereens Smithfield Smithson smithy smitten FILES
System word list. SEE ALSO
Commands: grep(1), sort(1), spell(1) look(1)