Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple fle size question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple fle size question Post 302164660 by gus2000 on Tuesday 5th of February 2008 12:52:17 PM
Old 02-05-2008
Code:
# FILE=mybigfile.txt

# ls -l $FILE
-rw-r--r--  1 root    staff     14639794 Aug 22 2006  mybigfile.txt

# awk 'BEGIN{"ls -l " "'$FILE'"|getline;printf "%s %5.2fMiB\n",$NF,$5/2^20}'
mybigfile.txt 13.96MiB

# awk 'BEGIN{"ls -l " "'$FILE'"|getline;printf "%s %5.2fMB\n",$NF,$5/10^6}'
mybigfile.txt 14.64MB

The above should work for any distro, provided that "ls" puts the filesize in column 5.

See Megabyte - Wikipedia for the differences between megabyte (MB) and mebibyte (MiB).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question

I am taking an intro to unix class and I can not figure out how to do part of the question. I am writing script to be exictued by a program in the tutoral. Question: Write every line containing the word ``delete'' produced by ``man mail'' into a file called ``delete''. Hint: What does using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weathergirl
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple question.

Is it possible to establish an IF statement inside a case statement in a shell file ? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TARFU
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple if then fi question

i'm trying to make a script that prints the name of the script for any command line parameter, here is what i have, and get `]]' unexpected: what am i doing wrong? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tefflox
3 Replies

5. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

append to fle using sed

Hello , I have the folloiwing command : sed -n "$var,$final w $destfile" $sourcefile where : $var - $final represent the range of line numbers to be written in $destfile However I require this command to work in a loop for which i need the sed command to keep appending the output to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question

Hi, Please don't berate me over the simplicity of these questions. I have recently gotten into bash shell scripting and enjoy it quite a bit. One thing I have not found the answer to though is when naming a shell script, what extension is normally used (ie myscript.?)? Also where is the standard... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple(?) if/else question

Hello, I have a quick question that is not related to homework in any way shape or form (in case anyone wanted to know). My question is thus: I have a file "temp" that has the two values say "5" and "3" (separated by a white space). Now, I want to simply write an if-else statement that reads... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: astropi
10 Replies

9. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple question

Sorry for stupid question, but why this script gives that output? $ awk 'BEGIN { well=56789; print 1234$well }' 1234 I expected 123456789 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: silyin
9 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getline(), getdelim(): Since glibc 2.10: _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 Before glibc 2.10: _GNU_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line from stream, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-termi- nated and includes the newline character, if one was found. If *lineptr is NULL, then getline() will allocate a buffer for storing the line, which should be freed by the user program. (In this case, the value in *n is ignored.) Alternatively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc(3)-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line, getline() resizes it with realloc(3), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and allocated size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except that a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with get- line(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null byte. This value can be used to handle embedded null bytes in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end-of-file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad arguments (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). VERSIONS
These functions are available since libc 4.6.27. CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() were originally GNU extensions. They were standardized in POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; char *line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } free(line); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
read(2), fgets(3), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), scanf(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-06-12 GETLINE(3)