Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Files in Lost+Found
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Files in Lost+Found Post 302164589 by vbe on Tuesday 5th of February 2008 10:26:09 AM
Old 02-05-2008
Did you go and see?
with a bit ( Biiig!!!) of luck all directories may still be intact, that is their content still bear their names... only you have to guess what directory it was and give back its correct name and do the next one...
for the files directly in /var its less obvious...
(I happen to have been through such a mess (was /usr) many years ago and I had backups but without /usr it wasnt of much help... and yes I managed to get enough things right to use the box but unlucky the restore command and out of order (one of those tricky corrupted files in lost+found I could not get back) but copied later from another box finally managed to restore...
Well it has learnt you that under UX you cannot live without backups...

Good luck
&All the best

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lost+found

Hi all, after a crash of our SUN Server 220R on file system was corrupt and I had run fsck getting a lost of files/dir's in the lost+found of the file system loking like drwxrwxr-x 2 lmxadmin DOS---- 512 Oct 31 21:04 #0007680 drwxrwxr-x 2 lammer DOS---- 512 Jan 29 09:29... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lost+found

Hi all I am using SOLARIS 8 on Sun enterpris3000 server. Last night i got a file system corrupted adn some inconsistancy in the file system were shown when i run fsck -o p option. Then i tried to fix it with fsck -F ufs -y /dev/md/rdsk/d1 option as i have given all yes response i cd not able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restoring back files from "lost+found" directory

Hi Friends, How can I Restore the Files present under "lost+found" Directory of a FileSystem (in Solaris & Tru64 OS) to their original Locations. Now-a-days I am loosing lots of files in 2 of my Machines, One running Solaris8 and other Tru64(Digital) Unix. Thanx in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhasarath
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost+found directory

what is the directory "lost+found" and how is it used? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ben070371
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is lost+found dir?

hi all, just wanted to know what is lost+found dir for? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bok
1 Replies

6. AIX

Lost+Found is not available

Hi, I have a AIX 4.3.3 running on IBM pseries server. I have some jfs filesystems running on it. I dont see Lost+Found directory in them. Can anybody guide me why it is not available. Cheers, Vinod.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod2all
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lost+found

Does anyone have or know of a script to help sort and display a large lost+found directory? i've googled this but not much help solaris 9 thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrish
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost+found

I need to try and sort 125gb of lost+found files and directories that look like from testing the files are good in some areas. Does anyone know of a script using strings, file, find, etc. to help sort something like this........can't find it on google. thks:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morrish
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

lost+found

Hi, What is lost+found in linux ? Cheers, snj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snjksh
2 Replies
TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)													      TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)

NAME
trace-cmd-restore - restore a failed trace record SYNOPSIS
trace-cmd restore [OPTIONS] [command] cpu-file [cpu-file ...] DESCRIPTION
The trace-cmd(1) restore command will restore a crashed trace-cmd-record(1) file. If for some reason a trace-cmd record fails, it will leave a the per-cpu data files and not create the final trace.dat file. The trace-cmd restore will append the files to create a working trace.dat file that can be read with trace-cmd-report(1). When trace-cmd record runs, it spawns off a process per CPU and writes to a per cpu file usually called trace.dat.cpuX, where X represents the CPU number that it is tracing. If the -o option was used in the trace-cmd record, then the CPU data files will have that name instead of the trace.dat name. If a unexpected crash occurs before the tracing is finished, then the per CPU files will still exist but there will not be any trace.dat file to read from. trace-cmd restore will allow you to create a trace.dat file with the existing data files. OPTIONS
-c Create a partial trace.dat file from the machine, to be used with a full trace-cmd restore at another time. This option is useful for embedded devices. If a server contains the cpu files of a crashed trace-cmd record (or trace-cmd listen), trace-cmd restore can be executed on the embedded device with the -c option to get all the stored information of that embedded device. Then the file created could be copied to the server to run the trace-cmd restore there with the cpu files. If *-o* is not specified, then the file created will be called 'trace-partial.dat'. This is because the file is not a full version of something that trace-cmd-report(1) could use. -t tracing_dir Used with -c, it overrides the location to read the events from. By default, tracing information is read from the debugfs/tracing directory. -t will use that location instead. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just tar -cvf events.tar debugfs/tracing and copy and untar that file locally, and use that directory instead. -k kallsyms Used with -c, it overrides where to read the kallsyms file from. By default, /proc/kallsyms is used. -k will override the file to read the kallsyms from. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just copy the /proc/kallsyms file locally, and use -k to point to that file. -o output' By default, trace-cmd restore will create a trace.dat file (or trace-partial.dat if -c is specified). You can specify a different file to write to with the -o option. -i input By default, trace-cmd restore will read the information of the current system to create the initial data stored in the trace.dat file. If the crash was on another machine, then that machine should have the trace-cmd restore run with the -c option to create the trace.dat partial file. Then that file can be copied to the current machine where trace-cmd restore will use -i to load that file instead of reading from the current system. EXAMPLES
If a crash happened on another box, you could run: $ trace-cmd restore -c -o box-partial.dat Then on the server that has the cpu files: $ trace-cmd restore -i box-partial.dat trace.dat.cpu0 trace.dat.cpu1 This would create a trace.dat file for the embedded box. SEE ALSO
trace-cmd(1), trace-cmd-record(1), trace-cmd-report(1), trace-cmd-start(1), trace-cmd-stop(1), trace-cmd-extract(1), trace-cmd-reset(1), trace-cmd-split(1), trace-cmd-list(1), trace-cmd-listen(1) AUTHOR
Written by Steven Rostedt, <rostedt@goodmis.org[1]> RESOURCES
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git COPYING
Copyright (C) 2010 Red Hat, Inc. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). NOTES
1. rostedt@goodmis.org mailto:rostedt@goodmis.org 06/11/2014 TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)