Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't create users in /home
Operating Systems Solaris Can't create users in /home Post 302164323 by DukeNuke2 on Monday 4th of February 2008 12:32:48 PM
Old 02-04-2008
@reborg

nice one...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Profiles for users without home directory

Hi I want to know which profile will be called when a user without home directory is created. When I created a user without home directory(by setting in /etc/default/useradd), the user is able to login directly into the main "/" folder but with only read permissions. Thanks naina (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naina
3 Replies

2. AIX

HACMP users home directories

What would be the best approach to configure one external /home f/s in simple two node config and have concurrent access ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zz2kzq
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Home dir for users

Hello all, Most of our users have the same home directory, I know it's weird but it has been like this before me and we don't want to change that for now. When creating a new user using command useradd, it is not allowing me to create it because it is using the home directory of someone else. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Directory Jail for Users

Hi, I am looking for a shell script (or any other way), that puts a user in a home directory jail. So for example, I have a user named richard and I don't want him wandering outside /usr/users/richard. I don't want him to cd to anywhere including cd .. Somebody said you can do that with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mz043
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost /home/directory for users

I'm using HPUX 11i. The other day a user logon to the workstation and was not able to find the /home/directory (tom is the directory) I login myself and it is the same thing. The home directory is on the server, so I was thinking of using sam to map it again. does anyone know how to do it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blizzgamer
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Common Home directory for different users??

Hi Guys, I have a problem with configuring a server. this is a solaris 10 with sparc platform. I have setup so that the server is Authenticating through NIS but I dont want the server to Mount the Home directories. The users need to logged in through the CDE/display. I have over 200 users... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luky
2 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

ssh many users to one home

Hey guys, Hmm.. I'm not quite sure where to open this. If any mod thinks this is not the place, please move it to wherever its suited :) So, I want to allow some trusted users to scp files into my server (to an specific user), but I do not want to give these users a home, neither ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flpgdt
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Files disappearing from /users/home

We have seen an issue whereby every morning around the same time , we see files being deleted from /users/$userid . We have many crons and processes running across 40+ different servers . Possibly some rogue process is doing this . How can one isolate the process removing stuff from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: taherkf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple users with individual passwords to users

hi, i am new to shell scripts i write a shell script to create multiple users but i need to give passwords to that users while creating users, command to write this script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DONFOX
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions on a directory in /home for all users

Hi, I have created a shared directory on /home, where all users on a certain group have read, write and execute permissions. I did this using chmod -R g+rwx /home/shared/ The problem is, when a particular user creates a directory within /home/shared, other users are not able to write to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies
pthread_get_nice_np(3T) 												   pthread_get_nice_np(3T)

NAME
pthread_get_nice_np(), pthread_set_nice_np() - get or set the nice value of a thread SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
thread The thread whose nice value is to be set/retrieved. nice_val Value of nice to be applied to the target thread is returned (get function) or it specifies the new value of nice for thread (set function). DESCRIPTION
These functions are used to set and retrieve the nice value of an individual thread. returns the current nice value setting of the target thread and stores it in nice_val. adds the value of nice_val to the current nice value of the target thread. A thread's nice value is a non-negative number. The system imposes a minimum nice value of 0 and a maximum of 39 with lower nice values providing more favorable scheduling. If calling results in a nice value outside the range of 0 to 39, the value will be set to the nearest limit. A process must have appropriate privileges to lower a thread's nice value. The function allows individual threads in the process to have different nice values. returns the current nice value less 20 and will be in the range -20 to +19. The nice value of only system scope threads can be changed. An attempt to change the nice value of a process-scope thread will result in a return value of Calling on a thread that has a scheduling policy other than will have an effect only when the thread's scheduling policy changes to If a thread calls the system call to create a new process, the new process inherits the process-level nice value. Calling to create a new thread will result in the new thread inheriting the creating thread's nice value. Note If the nice value of the entire process is changed through or all the threads in the process will have their nice values reset to the new process-level nice value. The new process's nice value setting overwrites the old thread's setting. Thus its possible that a thread whose nice value had been set higher than the process-level nice value have its nice value lowered as a result of the process-level re-nicing. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error (the variable is not set). ERRORS
If any of the following occur, the and functions return the corresponding error: A process-scope thread was specified. The caller does not have permission to lower the nice value specified in nice_val. No thread could be found corresponding to thread. AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. SEE ALSO
fork(2), nice(2), setpriority(2), pthread_attr_getschedpolicy(3T), pthread_setschedparam(3T). Pthread Library pthread_get_nice_np(3T)