Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't create users in /home
Operating Systems Solaris Can't create users in /home Post 302164310 by DukeNuke2 on Monday 4th of February 2008 11:55:26 AM
Old 02-04-2008
don't touch these directories! /home ist a mountpoint for the nfs automounter (e.g for nis domains). typicaly the users got to /export/home/"username".
have a look at /etc/auto_master!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Profiles for users without home directory

Hi I want to know which profile will be called when a user without home directory is created. When I created a user without home directory(by setting in /etc/default/useradd), the user is able to login directly into the main "/" folder but with only read permissions. Thanks naina (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naina
3 Replies

2. AIX

HACMP users home directories

What would be the best approach to configure one external /home f/s in simple two node config and have concurrent access ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zz2kzq
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Home dir for users

Hello all, Most of our users have the same home directory, I know it's weird but it has been like this before me and we don't want to change that for now. When creating a new user using command useradd, it is not allowing me to create it because it is using the home directory of someone else. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Directory Jail for Users

Hi, I am looking for a shell script (or any other way), that puts a user in a home directory jail. So for example, I have a user named richard and I don't want him wandering outside /usr/users/richard. I don't want him to cd to anywhere including cd .. Somebody said you can do that with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mz043
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost /home/directory for users

I'm using HPUX 11i. The other day a user logon to the workstation and was not able to find the /home/directory (tom is the directory) I login myself and it is the same thing. The home directory is on the server, so I was thinking of using sam to map it again. does anyone know how to do it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blizzgamer
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Common Home directory for different users??

Hi Guys, I have a problem with configuring a server. this is a solaris 10 with sparc platform. I have setup so that the server is Authenticating through NIS but I dont want the server to Mount the Home directories. The users need to logged in through the CDE/display. I have over 200 users... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luky
2 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

ssh many users to one home

Hey guys, Hmm.. I'm not quite sure where to open this. If any mod thinks this is not the place, please move it to wherever its suited :) So, I want to allow some trusted users to scp files into my server (to an specific user), but I do not want to give these users a home, neither ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flpgdt
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Files disappearing from /users/home

We have seen an issue whereby every morning around the same time , we see files being deleted from /users/$userid . We have many crons and processes running across 40+ different servers . Possibly some rogue process is doing this . How can one isolate the process removing stuff from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: taherkf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple users with individual passwords to users

hi, i am new to shell scripts i write a shell script to create multiple users but i need to give passwords to that users while creating users, command to write this script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DONFOX
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions on a directory in /home for all users

Hi, I have created a shared directory on /home, where all users on a certain group have read, write and execute permissions. I did this using chmod -R g+rwx /home/shared/ The problem is, when a particular user creates a directory within /home/shared, other users are not able to write to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies
SSS_USERDEL(8)							 SSSD Manual pages						    SSS_USERDEL(8)

NAME
sss_userdel - delete a user account SYNOPSIS
sss_userdel [options] LOGIN DESCRIPTION
sss_userdel deletes a user identified by login name LOGIN from the system. OPTIONS
-h,--help Display help message and exit. -r,--remove Files in the user's home directory will be removed along with the home directory itself and the user's mail spool. Overrides the configuration. -R,--no-remove Files in the user's home directory will NOT be removed along with the home directory itself and the user's mail spool. Overrides the configuration. -f,--force This option forces sss_userdel to remove the user's home directory and mail spool, even if they are not owned by the specified user. -k,--kick Before actually deleting the user, terminate all his processes. THE LOCAL DOMAIN
In order to function correctly, a domain with "id_provider=local" must be created and the SSSD must be running. The administrator might want to use the SSSD local users instead of traditional UNIX users in cases where the group nesting (see sss_groupadd(8)) is needed. The local users are also useful for testing and development of the SSSD without having to deploy a full remote server. The sss_user* and sss_group* tools use a local LDB storage to store users and groups. SEE ALSO
sss_groupadd(8), sss_groupdel(8), sss_groupmod(8), sss_groupshow(8), sss_useradd(8), sss_usermod(8). AUTHORS
The SSSD upstream - http://fedorahosted.org/sssd SSSD
03/04/2013 SSS_USERDEL(8)