Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help with return codes
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with return codes Post 302164304 by ammu on Monday 4th of February 2008 11:35:51 AM
Old 02-04-2008
help with return codes

Hi

In an unix script I am using an Perl one liner perl -i -ne '-----'
If the perl one liner fails i am not able to catch the return code.
It always give 0 as return code. Can you tell me how can i catch the return code

perl -i -ne '---'
RETCODE=$?
echo $RETCODE

Thanks and Regards
Ammu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Return codes

I have the below script I am running on a Solaris system to check the status of a Tivoli Workload Scheduler job and return the status. We need this script to return a '0' if any of the jobs in the stream are in a "EXEC" state and an "1" if in a "HOLD" state. I am not a programmer so I am not sure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leezer1204
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix return codes

Suppose I have a script which is monitoring a directory whenever a file drops in that directory,it sends alert say I want to write a return code for the above script which on successful execution of script gives a return value Based on return code , I want to do initiate some jobs in other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhib45
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return codes

Hi, Can anyone tell me if there are return codes for SFTP? If so how would you capture them? I've tried 'man sftp' but its not particularly helpful. Many thanks Helen :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Return Codes

I have a simple script which renames a file.How do i capture the return code of the script if the script fails (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris01752
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Return codes of RDIST

Can any body please tell me the return codes of RDIST tool? I am using RDIST (through an UNIX script) to synchronize files between two servers say ukblx151(source) & ukapx050(target). RDIST raises an alert mail (through notify option) in case of success & also failure but there is a problem if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishal_ranjan
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying Return Codes

This is a high-level explanation, if more details are needed, please do not hesitate to ask. I have a set of .ctl files which I want to execute: AV1.ctl AV2.ctl AV3.ctl I have a script which has a for loop in it: for filename in AV1 AV2 AV3 do . execute_another_script.sh done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp return codes

sftp -v b $putlist $SFTP_ID@TARGET_SERVER How can I get a return code if fails to put the file? sftp -v b $getlist $SFTP_ID@TARGET_SERVER How can I get a return code if fails to put the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TimHortons
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different Return Codes

Hi, I wanted to know the significance of different return codes when we do echo $? I know when $? returns 0 the command has worked successfully. but what does $? = 1, 2, 3 etc. signify. Thanks in advance for the help !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarti.popi
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Oracle return codes?

Having searched high and low through Oracles documentation, I came to think that they're very scripting-averse, as there's (apparently) no list of possible return/exit codes for their various command line utilities. Is anyone here in possession of such a list, or knows where to find one? It... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return Codes...

Not sure if this is of any use but...... I was messing around with getting return codes greater than 255 for special usage... Of course the code could be made simple but in this code the new stored return code is generated as exit is progressing... #!/bin/sh # Real and imaginary return... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
9 Replies
TryCatch(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     TryCatch(3pm)

NAME
TryCatch - first class try catch semantics for Perl, without source filters. DESCRIPTION
This module aims to provide a nicer syntax and method to catch errors in Perl, similar to what is found in other languages (such as Java, Python or C++). The standard method of using "eval {}; if ($@) {}" is often prone to subtle bugs, primarily that its far too easy to stomp on the error in error handlers. And also eval/if isn't the nicest idiom. SYNOPSIS
use TryCatch; sub foo { my ($self) = @_; try { die Some::Class->new(code => 404 ) if $self->not_found; return "return value from foo"; } catch (Some::Class $e where { $_->code > 100 } ) { } } SYNTAX
This module aims to give first class exception handling to perl via 'try' and 'catch' keywords. The basic syntax this module provides is "try { # block }" followed by zero or more catch blocks. Each catch block has an optional type constraint on it the resembles Perl6's method signatures. Also worth noting is that the error variable ($@) is localised to the try/catch blocks and will not leak outside the scope, or stomp on a previous value of $@. The simplest case of a catch block is just catch { ... } where upon the error is available in the standard $@ variable and no type checking is performed. The exception can instead be accessed via a named lexical variable by providing a simple signature to the catch block as follows: catch ($err) { ... } Type checking of the exception can be performed by specifing a type constraint or where clauses in the signature as follows: catch (TypeFoo $e) { ... } catch (Dict[code => Int, message => Str] $err) { ... } As shown in the above example, complex Moose types can be used, including MooseX::Types style of type constraints In addition to type checking via Moose type constraints, you can also use where clauses to only match a certain sub-condition on an error. For example, assuming that "HTTPError" is a suitably defined TC: catch (HTTPError $e where { $_->code >= 400 && $_->code <= 499 } ) { return "4XX error"; } catch (HTTPError $e) { return "other http code"; } would return "4XX error" in the case of a 404 error, and "other http code" in the case of a 302. In the case where multiple catch blocks are present, the first one that matches the type constraints (if any) will executed. BENEFITS
return. You can put a return in a try block, and it would do the right thing - namely return a value from the subroutine you are in, instead of just from the eval block. Type Checking. This is nothing you couldn't do manually yourself, it does it for you using Moose type constraints. TODO
o Decide on "finally" semantics w.r.t return values. o Write some more documentation o Split out the dependancy on Moose SEE ALSO
MooseX::Types, Moose::Util::TypeConstraints, Parse::Method::Signatures. AUTHOR
Ash Berlin <ash@cpan.org> THANKS
Thanks to Matt S Trout and Florian Ragwitz for work on Devel::Declare and various B::Hooks modules Vincent Pit for Scope::Upper that makes the return from block possible. Zefram for providing support and XS guidance. Xavier Bergade for the impetus to finally fix this module in 5.12. LICENSE
Licensed under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2010-10-13 TryCatch(3pm)