Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Query:just need to remove the contents of the file without deleting that Post 302164156 by chella on Monday 4th of February 2008 04:29:00 AM
Old 02-04-2008
Hi,

The below will delete the contents of the file without deleting the file.

Code:
> filename

Regards,
Chella

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

remove the contents of a file

Hi Let say a flat file contains 1000 lines. The cursor is at the 530 line number. Now I like to delete all the line at one ahot. how it can be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: surjyap
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the contents of a file without deleting the file

Hi All, I want to delete the contents of few files which are really huge in size. How the same can be done by using sed. Is there any other alternative to sed. Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting contents of a UNIX File

Hi ALL, Can anyone help me out. I have unix file, I need to delete the contents of the file. Can any one let me know the command to do this. The file has to be there, but the contents should be deleted. thanks Manas (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and remove all the contents of one file from another

Hi, I have two files, in which the second file has exactly the same contents of the first file with some additional records. Now, if I want to remove those matching lines from file2 and print only the extra contents which the first file does not have, I could use the below unsophisticated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines based on contents of another file

So, this issue is driving me nuts! I was hoping to get a lending hand here... I have 2 files: file1.txt contains: this is example1 this is example2 this is example3 this is example4 this is example5 file2.txt contains: example3 example5 Basically, I need a script or command to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear contents of a file without deleting it.

Hi, I have a script which will use an input.txt file as an input file. I am providing data to this input file in the script and once the script is executed, I want to clear all the contents of this file as during the second time use of this script, I'll be appending the data in this input... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove or rename based on contents of file

I am trying to use the two files shown below to either remove or rename contents in one of those files. If in file1.txt $5 matches $5 of file2.txt and the value in $1 of file1.txt is not "No Match" then that value is substituted for all values in $5 and $1 of file2.txt. If however in $1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove contents from file which are under bracket?

hello Friend, In hostgroup file, i have define lots of hostgroups. I need to remove few of them without manually editing file. Need script or syntax. I want to search particular on hostgroup_members and delete hostgoup defination of it. for example. define hostgroup{ hostgroup_name... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk function to remove lines that contain contents of another file

Hi, I'd be grateful for your help with the following. I have a file (file.txt) with 10 columns and about half a million lines, which in simplified form looks like this: ID Col1 Col2 Col3.... a 4 2 8 b 5 6 1 c 8 4 1 d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aberg
4 Replies
removeuser(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     removeuser(8)

NAME
removeuser - Deletes user accounts interactively SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/removeuser DESCRIPTION
Security Note If you have enhanced security installed on your system, you should use the dxaccounts command to remove users. See the Security manual and the dxaccounts(8) reference page for more information. The removeuser command is an interactive command for deleting user accounts from your system. It also gives the option of deleting the user's home directory, files and mail. The command prompts you for specific information and informs you of its activity and error condi- tions. The removeuser command invokes /usr/sbin/userdel to delete the user account information from /etc/passwd and the hashed password database (if present). Only the superuser can execute this command. The command performs the following tasks: Asks for a login name for the user to be deleted. Enter the login name. If this entry does not exist in the /etc/passwd file, the command informs you of this and exits. If the entry does exist, the command continues. Displays the entry for the user from the /etc/passwd file and asks if this is the entry you want to delete. If the answer to this query is no, the com- mand indicates that the user was not deleted and then exits. If the answer to this query is yes, the command deletes the user's entry from the /etc/passwd file and any occurrences of the user from the /etc/group file. It then states that the user was deleted. Searches several administrative directories and files for occurrences of the user and informs you if they exist. If so, it suggests that you may want to delete these occurrences when the command is finished. If no occurrences of the user are found in these directories and files, the command indicates so. Asks if you want to delete the home directory, all subdirectories, and all mail files for the user. If the answer to this query is no, the command indicates that the user's home directory was not deleted and then exits. If the answer to this query is yes, the command continues. As a precaution, the command reminds you that you should have backed up the files for the user before removing them if you do not want to lose them. It then asks if you are sure that you want to delete the files for this user. If the answer to this query is no, the command indicates that the user's home directory was not deleted and then exits. If the answer to this query is yes, the command states that it is removing the user's home directory, its contents and the user's mail file. It then deletes these items. At this point, the command ends. NOTES
Users are advised to migrate to the /usr/sbin/userdel utility or the dxaccounts utility as this command may be removed in a future version of the operating system. EXAMPLES
Enter a login name to be removed or <Return> to exit: john This is the entry for (john) in the /etc/passwd file: john:VSh6/xbMqPDcY:5006:15:sdf:/usr/users/john: Is this the entry you want to delete (y/n)? y Working ... Entry for (john) removed. Searching relevant directories and files for (john) ... None found. Do you want to remove the home directory, all subdirectories, files, and mail for (john) (y/n)? y The files for (john) will be lost if not backed up. Are you sure you want to remove these files (y/n)? y Deleting /usr/users/john Deleting /usr/spool/mail/john FILES
Specifies the command path Group file Password file SEE ALSO
Commands: addgroup(8), adduser(8), dxaccounts(8), finger(1), mkpasswd(8), passwd(1), useradd(8), userdel(8), vipw(8) Files: group(4), passwd(4) removeuser(8)