Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting strip first 4 and last 2 lines from a file using perl Post 302163628 by meghana on Friday 1st of February 2008 05:08:38 PM
Old 02-01-2008
Thanks for the quick reply, i tried it but it dint work for me.. i can make my situation more clear... i need to copy the data from a file except for the first 4 and the last 2 lines to a new file .. say File1 has lines
a1
a2
a3
a4
a5
a59
a60
a61

my new file should contain
a5
a59

Hope im clear.. a quick solution is really appreciated... thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip 3 header lines and 4 trailer lines

Hello friends, I want to remove 3 header lines and 4 trailer lines, I am using following , is it correct ? sed '1,3d';'4,$ d' filename (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add lines in file with perl

How to search string like: a and replace to a a a : : a in a file with perl? Thanks, Grace (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinsh
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i strip this line using perl regex.

I have a variable dynamically generated $batch = /dataload/R3P/interface/Bowne/reports/RDI00244.rpt Now I'd like to strip '/dataload/R3P/interface/Bowne/reports/RDI' and '.rpt' from this variable my output should be only 00244 how to do this using perl regex.I'm a newbie to perl and would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the lines from file using perl

Can anyone tell me what could be the solution to following : I have one .txt file which contains some seed information. This seed may appear multiple time in the file so what I want do is if this seed appears again in the file then that line should be removed. here is the contents of .txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipakg
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip one line from 2 blank lines in a file

Hi Is there any command to scan thru a file looking for 2 consecutive blank lines and if any remove one of them. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Strip lines off Streamed EDI Output

Attached is a streamed EDI ANSI X12 output where the segment terminator/delimiter is a tilde ~ character. Is it possible to do the following pseudo-code in a unix script (using either sed, awk and/or grep)? Open file StreamedOutput.txt Search for ISA and delete the data up to the tilde ~ char... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapedi
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to strip some character in perl

I have some character strings and I would like to know how can I remove them using perl. My file contains the following output shown below. An example of a string in the file: + netmck(uid=500)-root + netmck(uid=500)-root + netmck(uid=500)-root + netmck(uid=0)-root . . . I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smlushing
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the lines matched of a file in perl?

Hi, I want to match the time in the file and retrieve those contents of the file. I am taking only first two parameters of localtime(time) function minutes and seconds so partial match i am performing. For Example $start = "14:23"; $end = "14:30"; I am matching file contents... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines from a file in PERL?

Hi, I have 500 MB of file. I want to retain first line and last line of the file. I am unaware of deleting lines from a file in PERL. How can i do it in PERL? Regards VANITHA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
3 Replies
PERL-AFTER-UPGRADE(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     PERL-AFTER-UPGRADE(1)

NAME
perl-after-upgrade -- fixup FreeBSD packages that depend on perl SYNOPSIS
perl-after-upgrade perl-after-upgrade -f perl-after-upgrade -v DESCRIPTION
The standard procedure after a perl port (either lang/perl5.6 or lang/perl5.8) upgrade is to basically reinstall all other packages that depend on perl. This is always a painful exercise. The perl-after-upgrade utility makes this process mostly unnecessary. The tool goes through the list of installed packages, looks for those that depend on perl, moves files around, modifies shebang lines in those scripts in which it is necessary to do so, tries its best to adjust dynamically linked binaries that link with libperl.so in the old path, and updates the package database. After installation of the new perl is complete, either by hand from the ports collection, or from a package, or via portupgrade, do the following: o go root; o run perl-after-upgrade utility. Do not specify any arguments at first, so it does nothing destructive. Pay attention to the produced output and especially to errorlist at the end, if any; o run the utility again, with -f command line option. This will actually do the work. Again, pay attention to the output produced; o fix any reported errors; o reinstall required packages: The utility will tell you what packages that depend on perl it could not handle. It will also tell you why it happened (for example, they were compiled against a binary incompatible perl). If you want such packages to remain operational, you will have to reinstall then by hand or via portupgrade. o review the files left in the older perl installation. This is typically /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.X.Y/. There should be very little, if any, files in that directory and its subdi- rectories, excepting a number of .ph files; o check that things work as they should; o remove backup files from the package database. Those will be /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS.bak; o that's all. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2005 by Anton Berezin "THE BEER-WARE LICENSE" (Revision 42) <tobez@FreeBSD.org> wrote this module. As long as you retain this notice you can do whatever you want with this stuff. If we meet some day, and you think this stuff is worth it, you can buy me a beer in return. Anton Berezin NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. HISTORY
The first version of this utility was not bundled with perl package on FreeBSD. It was dumber than the current version in several impor- tant areas. It was faster. CREDITS
Thanks to Mathieu Arnold for discussion. SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.8.9 2009-04-13 PERL-AFTER-UPGRADE(1)