Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris [help] filesystem error on solaris 10 Post 302163446 by xiaochensg on Friday 1st of February 2008 03:51:21 AM
Old 02-01-2008
I faced the same problem also. What i did is newfs the entire partition. Problem solved, but I is not thr right way haha.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris filesystem

Dear all can we create more than one file system in single slice? I am using solaris 8 ultra spark machine. regards S.Balu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbaloo
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Filesystem for Linux - Solaris

Do you know how I can find detailed information on filesystems on Linux and Solaris. And I mean not only for the OS but and how it(the OS) uses the hard drives! Thank you in advance!! Solid Snake;) ;) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
3 Replies

3. Solaris

filesystem in solaris 8

Hi All, Can someone give me some info regarding where's the mount point or slice of /var. It's not in /etc/vfstab. I only find it in: bash-2.03# cat /etc/mnttab | grep var swap /var/run tmpfs dev=1 1215228103 How do I increase the size of it? Thanks in advance for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

4. Solaris

The filesystem is still full - Solaris 10!

Good morning, sir! I've a problem with FileSystem, the problem is FileSystem is full First time, I've already read carefully the sticky thread FileSystem full - What to lock for https://www.unix.com/sun-solaris/25840-filesystem-full-what-look.html And then, I will post some information of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trantuananh24hg
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mounting filesystem twice on Solaris

Hello, In a shared storage environment is their anything to stop being able to mount the same filesystem on two hosts by accident, a flag being set or something on the storage? If it did happen would one of the hosts panic? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Actuator
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resize a filesystem in solaris 10

i am facing a problem, i would like to resize a file system called /pcard04 i am not useing any voulme manager and we have a NETAPP center storge. what i did is root@cms-dev # df -h | grep /pcard04 /dev/dsk/c4t60A9800043346C35636F2D6D4F354743d0s0 5.2G 4.0G 1.0G 80% /pcard04 then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

8. Solaris

Need on Veritas filesystem, solaris

Hello Folks, Was wondering if you can help me make the following disk back online, Disk_22 auto - - error I am using Solaris 9 and veritas version 4. Anep (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaapar
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem

Hi, Is there a command that list the unmounted filesystems ? Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anwesh
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies
NEWFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  NEWFS(8)

NAME
newfs - construct a new file system SYNOPSIS
/sbin/newfs [ -N ] [ -m free-gap ] [ -n free-modulus ] [ -i bytes ] [ -s size ] [ -T disk-type ] special DESCRIPTION
Newfs is a ``friendly'' front-end to the mkfs(8) program. Newfs(8) will normally read the disklabel from the drive to determine the parti- tion sizes. If the driver for the disk does not support disklabels the -T option must be used to force a search of /etc/disktab for parti- tion information about drive-type. Newfs calculates the appropriate parameters to use in calling mkfs, then builds the file system by forking mkfs. -N causes the mkfs command which would be executed to be printed out without actually creating the file system. The disk specified by spe- cial must be online though so that newfs can read the disklabel. -m allows the specification of the block interleaving of the free list. If not specified or outside the range 1 thru 32 then a value of 2 is used. -n parameter is the freelist modulus (when the -m pattern repeats) and is calculated by newfs to be 1 cylinder in size by default. -i specifies how many bytes per inode to assume when calculating how many inodes to allocate. The default is 4096 bytes per inode. If this results in too few inodes being allocated (there is an absolute maximum of 65500) then decrease the bytes number (which must lie between 512 and 65536). -T must be used if the disk specified by special has not been labeled with the disklabel(8) program. In this case disk-type is used by getdisklabel(3) when searching /etc/disktab. This option is used when the underlying device driver does not support disklabels. Care must be taken that the contents of /etc/disktab match the partition tables in the kernel. -s specifies how many sectors the file system is to contain. There are two sectors per file system block, therefore size should be even. This parameter must be less than or equal to the partition size (as determined from the disklabel or /etc/disktab). An error is printed and no action is taken if the partition size is 0 or too large. NOTE: Mkfs deals in units of filesystem blocks not sectors. Newfs uses sectors. FILES
/etc/disktab disk geometry and partition information mkfs to actually build the file system SEE ALSO
getdisklabel(3), disklabel(8), disktab(5), diskpart(8), fs(5), fsck(8), mkfs(8) BUGS
newfs(8) no longer places boot blocks on the filesystem. That duty has been moved to the disklabel(8) program. If you must place a boot block on a disk whose driver does not support disklabels use dd(1). 4.2 Berkeley Distribution April 12, 1996 NEWFS(8)