Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script check the users in SHELL ? Post 302163294 by Karthikeyan_113 on Thursday 31st of January 2008 03:07:56 PM
Old 01-31-2008
MySQL Try this....

Hi

Below is the piece with which you can achieve your task.

Code:
while [[ -z $user ]]
do
echo "Enter the user name : "
read user
done

echo
echo "Validating the $user ..."
if [[ `grep -c $user /etc/passwd` -eq 0 ]]
then
   echo
   echo "ERROR : PLEASE ENTER A VALID USERNAME."
   echo "Exiting ..."
   exit 1
else
   echo
   echo "$user IS A VALID USER."
   echo "Checking whether the $user is logged on or not ..."
   echo
fi

if [[ `who | grep -c $user` -eq 0 ]]
then
   echo
   echo "$user IS NOT LOGGED INTO THE SERVER !!!"
   echo
   exit 0
else
   echo
   echo "$user IS LOGGED INTO THE SERVER !!!"
   echo
fi

Below are its execution steps.

Quote:
$ > check_user.sh
Enter the user name :
root

Validating the root ...

root IS A VALID USER.
Checking whether the root is logged on or not ...

root IS NOT LOGGED INTO THE SERVER !!!

$ >
==========
Thanks,
Karthikeyan.
==========

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script help for users

Hello guys, I would appreciate if someone can help me for this task: I have a large txt file that contains lots of user ids in different format. I need to run this against a database output ldif file and print to a file whether they exist or not. And if they exist then I need to print their... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
9 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

interactive shell script to create users 10.4

Hello everyone, Not sure if this is the right place, but OS X isn't your standard Unix, so I figured here would be best. I am looking at creating a script that will be interactive that admins can run to create users. Now, 10.4 uses netinfo database and netinfo manager to handle it's users. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check top 5 biggest disk space users

Hi all, I am needing a bash shell script to generate a list of the top 5 users using the most disk space. I am thinking that the du command would be used somehow but I am at a loss. Can anyone help? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sytemx
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check users logged out

Hi, Here is the script that I have written to check if a particular user is has logged out, and if yes, then a mail needs to be sent to the management the details of whatever has been captured by the script command. echo "The current users are:" who | awk '{print $1}' | sort > temp1 cp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script check the users in SHELL every 1 minute ?

could you please find a solution for this: I need to write a shell script which checks after every minute whether a friend has logged in or not.The script should report whether that person has logged in along with the amount of time the person was late in logging in. I have no idea how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blunderblitz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for monitoring users activities

hi I need a shell script which runs perpetually in background and monitors different aspects of different users on different files and their usages for example say there r 3 users so i want when they log in i.e. their log in time and their file access, modify and change log of each file of a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script - creating users

echo -e "Enter in a username : \c" read username grep "^$username:" /etc/passwdWhat I'm trying to do is take in a username from my script and I need to be able to check if that username already exists. If it does the script should display a message saying that the user already exists and exit. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowcat
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Shell script to add users on solaris

Hi admins, I am trying to run a script to add users on solaris with password: I am using crypt for passwords: The part of my scripts is as below: if ; then echo "$username exists!" exit 1 else pass=$(perl -e 'print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check for a directory in /home for all users

Following on from this post: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/150201-simple-script-mount-folder-all-users-home.html and getting told off for bumping the thread:( Please could someone help me with a short script to check is a certain directory is present in /home for all users... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
8 Replies

10. BSD

Creating an array out of users: shell script

I want to create a shell script for a menu selection consisting of users defined on the machine. To an administrator having the privileges, the selection menu will look as follows: Select the user you want to define the variables for: 1) my-username-1 2) my-username-2 etc Then there would be a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies
SSH2_METHODS_NEGOTIATED(3)						 1						SSH2_METHODS_NEGOTIATED(3)

ssh2_methods_negotiated - Return list of negotiated methods

SYNOPSIS
array ssh2_methods_negotiated (resource $session) DESCRIPTION
Returns list of negotiated methods. PARAMETERS
o $session - An SSH connection link identifier, obtained from a call to ssh2_connect(3). RETURN VALUES
EXAMPLES
Example #1 Determining what methods were negotiated <?php $connection = ssh2_connect('shell.example.com', 22); $methods = ssh2_methods_negotiated($connection); echo "Encryption keys were negotiated using: {$methods['kex']} "; echo "Server identified using an {$methods['hostkey']} with "; echo "fingerprint: " . ssh2_fingerprint($connection) . " "; echo "Client to Server packets will use methods: "; echo " Crypt: {$methods['client_to_server']['crypt']} "; echo " Comp: {$methods['client_to_server']['comp']} "; echo " MAC: {$methods['client_to_server']['mac']} "; echo "Server to Client packets will use methods: "; echo " Crypt: {$methods['server_to_client']['crypt']} "; echo " Comp: {$methods['server_to_client']['comp']} "; echo " MAC: {$methods['server_to_client']['mac']} "; ?> SEE ALSO
ssh2_connect(3). PHP Documentation Group SSH2_METHODS_NEGOTIATED(3)