Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script check the users in SHELL ? Post 302163294 by Karthikeyan_113 on Thursday 31st of January 2008 03:07:56 PM
Old 01-31-2008
MySQL Try this....

Hi

Below is the piece with which you can achieve your task.

Code:
while [[ -z $user ]]
do
echo "Enter the user name : "
read user
done

echo
echo "Validating the $user ..."
if [[ `grep -c $user /etc/passwd` -eq 0 ]]
then
   echo
   echo "ERROR : PLEASE ENTER A VALID USERNAME."
   echo "Exiting ..."
   exit 1
else
   echo
   echo "$user IS A VALID USER."
   echo "Checking whether the $user is logged on or not ..."
   echo
fi

if [[ `who | grep -c $user` -eq 0 ]]
then
   echo
   echo "$user IS NOT LOGGED INTO THE SERVER !!!"
   echo
   exit 0
else
   echo
   echo "$user IS LOGGED INTO THE SERVER !!!"
   echo
fi

Below are its execution steps.

Quote:
$ > check_user.sh
Enter the user name :
root

Validating the root ...

root IS A VALID USER.
Checking whether the root is logged on or not ...

root IS NOT LOGGED INTO THE SERVER !!!

$ >
==========
Thanks,
Karthikeyan.
==========

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script help for users

Hello guys, I would appreciate if someone can help me for this task: I have a large txt file that contains lots of user ids in different format. I need to run this against a database output ldif file and print to a file whether they exist or not. And if they exist then I need to print their... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
9 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

interactive shell script to create users 10.4

Hello everyone, Not sure if this is the right place, but OS X isn't your standard Unix, so I figured here would be best. I am looking at creating a script that will be interactive that admins can run to create users. Now, 10.4 uses netinfo database and netinfo manager to handle it's users. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check top 5 biggest disk space users

Hi all, I am needing a bash shell script to generate a list of the top 5 users using the most disk space. I am thinking that the du command would be used somehow but I am at a loss. Can anyone help? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sytemx
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check users logged out

Hi, Here is the script that I have written to check if a particular user is has logged out, and if yes, then a mail needs to be sent to the management the details of whatever has been captured by the script command. echo "The current users are:" who | awk '{print $1}' | sort > temp1 cp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script check the users in SHELL every 1 minute ?

could you please find a solution for this: I need to write a shell script which checks after every minute whether a friend has logged in or not.The script should report whether that person has logged in along with the amount of time the person was late in logging in. I have no idea how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blunderblitz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for monitoring users activities

hi I need a shell script which runs perpetually in background and monitors different aspects of different users on different files and their usages for example say there r 3 users so i want when they log in i.e. their log in time and their file access, modify and change log of each file of a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script - creating users

echo -e "Enter in a username : \c" read username grep "^$username:" /etc/passwdWhat I'm trying to do is take in a username from my script and I need to be able to check if that username already exists. If it does the script should display a message saying that the user already exists and exit. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowcat
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Shell script to add users on solaris

Hi admins, I am trying to run a script to add users on solaris with password: I am using crypt for passwords: The part of my scripts is as below: if ; then echo "$username exists!" exit 1 else pass=$(perl -e 'print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check for a directory in /home for all users

Following on from this post: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/150201-simple-script-mount-folder-all-users-home.html and getting told off for bumping the thread:( Please could someone help me with a short script to check is a certain directory is present in /home for all users... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
8 Replies

10. BSD

Creating an array out of users: shell script

I want to create a shell script for a menu selection consisting of users defined on the machine. To an administrator having the privileges, the selection menu will look as follows: Select the user you want to define the variables for: 1) my-username-1 2) my-username-2 etc Then there would be a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)