Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Loop till you find a string in a fine <-- Need Help New to Unix Scripting Post 302162920 by bobbygsk on Wednesday 30th of January 2008 05:01:37 PM
Old 01-30-2008
To find a string in specific file :-
Quote:
grep <string to find> <filename>
To find a string in all the files in specific directory
Quote:
grep <string to find> *
To find a string in all the files in directories and sub directories.
Quote:
find . -type f -print | xargs grep <string to find>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print lines till till a pattern is matched in loop

Dear All I have a file like this 112534554 446538656 444695656 225696966 226569744 228787874 113536566 443533535 222564552 115464656 225445345 225533234 I want to cut the file into different parts where the first two columns are '11' . The first two columns will be either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anoopvraj
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a string in a loop

Hi, Can anyone help with the problem below? I need to read all text files (file1, file2, file3) in a loop and find file1.txt: file2.txt: File3.txt: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lenora2009
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Read a line from one string till to another.... Unix scripting..

So i have a file which contains paths to JPG images separated by a space. I have to separate them each path to another file. So, I have to search all strings that start from /home/ and ends with .jpg or .png Then write each one to another file... Can you please help me on doing this???:cool: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with loop till search is done

I need help to put a script where it runs the svn command grep'ing for the ticket# in the comments to see if the ticket was used in the latest commit. so on command line: ./test.sh ticket-1 ticket-2 ticket-3 It should be able to check if ticket-1 is used first and if not then check if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop till the files downloaded

Need assistance in writing a for loop script or any looping method. Below is the code where i can get all the files from the URL . There are about 80 files in the URL .Every day the files get updated . Script that i wanted is the loop must keep on running till it gets 80 files. It matches the count... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and increment at each occurence of string (loop)

I created script (sh shell) to generate vlc playlist based on some data files. All works fine so far except one string I do not know how to handle with. VLCSTART='<vlc:id>' VLCV=0 VLCEND='</vlc:id>' echo -e $'\n'$'\t'$'\t'$'\t'$'\t'\$VLCSTART$VLCV$VLCENDOutput file contains several occurences... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiedCone
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Scripting help to input string and search a file to find

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input within a file I know will have to use the read and grep commands, anyone can give me somewhere to start would help Task: Write a script to display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 12ic11
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input within a file I know will have to use the read and grep commands, anyone can give me somewhere to start would help Task: Write a script to display which volume pool a given... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi Don, this is not homework question. I work for a Credit card company and my development goal this year is to learn Unix. I would love if others can help me get started, thanks. Hi everyone I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep till grep find the string

Hello! I have a sample code in which a grep is being performed from multiple files with a date format in their naming convention. Here the script: #! /usr/bin/bash cd /IN/service_packages/SMS/cdr/received MYDATE=`date +"%Y%m%d%H%M"` #get the value then divide by 60 #DAPS_SLC01... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
3 Replies
Excel::Template::Container::Loop(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		     Excel::Template::Container::Loop(3pm)

NAME
Excel::Template::Container::Loop - Excel::Template::Container::Loop PURPOSE
To provide looping NODE NAME
LOOP INHERITANCE
Excel::Template::Container ATTRIBUTES
o NAME This is the name of the loop. It's used to identify within the parameter set what variables to expose to the children nodes each iteration. CHILDREN
None EFFECTS
None DEPENDENCIES
None USAGE
<loop name="LOOPY"> ... Children here ... </loop> In the above example, the children nodes would have access to the LOOPY array of hashes as parameters. Each iteration through the array would expose a different hash of parameters to the children. These loops work just like HTML::Template's loops. (I promise I'll give more info here!) There is one difference - I prefer using Perl-like scoping, so accessing of variables outside the LOOP scope from within is perfectly acceptable. You can also hide outside variables with inner values, if you desire, just like Perl. AUTHOR
Rob Kinyon (rob.kinyon@gmail.com) SEE ALSO
perl v5.14.2 2012-04-29 Excel::Template::Container::Loop(3pm)