Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mailx saved messages are unreadable (base64) Post 302162862 by Squeakygoose on Wednesday 30th of January 2008 10:49:07 AM
Old 01-30-2008
Followup Answer

Turns out mailx isn't as intelligent as I thought. The save command simply copies the message from /var/spool/mail/user to the file specified, no decoding is performed. I had previously thought the save command saved mail in a plain text format that could be viewed externally...

I solved my problem by using:

Code:
mailx > ~/.mail_reader <<EOF
d1
quit
EOF

instead of:
Code:
mailx <<EOF
s1 ~/.mail_reader
quit
EOF

and performed a little more text manipulation to remove the mailx login/listing stuff at the top of the file...

Hope this helps someone else someday.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm looking for someone who have Base64 binary

I need to install the base64 encryption method on a UNIX machine under AIX5.2. I've received a tar file but it is only C source , can you help me please. (sending me a binary base64 or to compile my source) Thanks by advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruno_LAMOUR
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not able to run base64 exe

Hi, I have copied base64.exe under base64-1.3 folder and i am trying to run base64.exe from another folder called Request. But i am getting the following error message. mga.ksh: base64: not found Please let me know how to execute the base64.exe from a directory where it is not installed. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotus123
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unreadable Unix File

Hi Everyone, I have a question for you all. I am working at a company and we are trying to recover .dat files which were created on an older linux box and we have a folder of .dat files that are unreadable. When you try to open them in a text editor you get jibberish all shapes and sizes and... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryangfm
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unreadable

Hi Guys, I have one query. Say I have one script named test.sh. My Question: There is any method by which I can make this script (test.sh) non-human readable( like Encrypt) format as well as it should be executable also(mean to say it (test.sh) should not change its behaviour). Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

pstree unreadable characters

hi all, i executed this command "pstree" on redhat ent 4 and i got this below with unreadable chars: init─┬─acpid â”─amqzxma0─┬─amqrrmfa │ â”─amqzdmaa │ â”─amqzfuma │ â”─5* │ â”─amqzmgr0─┬─amqpcsea │ │ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unreadable

Hi, can someone explain what does this mean and why does this happen? i had this problem last week, and Unix admin said that he has to rebuild the file system. Now i am getting this error again. aaaa% ls . unreadable :mad: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: treneryy
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx and html body messages

Hi, I'm working on Solaris 9 (SPARC) and I like to send an html body message to our users when something happen. The problem is that I can't find how to give mime type information with mailx. To be recognized as html I need to put in email header this information: Mime-Version: 1.0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gbagagli
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files unreadable in unix, help needed.

Hi, I developed a java application in Windows and transferred it to a HP-UX environment(using WinSCP) for deployment. I used "chmod 777 ..." for granting rights to the files. After I did this, whenever I go into that directory(or it's immediate parent directory) and hit "ls"......it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agnivaccent
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why are there LFs in my base64?

And is there a good way of taking them out? I've been playing around a bit with using b64 to embed images in HTML (and trying to stay within the spec). I've noticed that with openssl's base64 encoder, the output files have newline characters @ every 65th column or so. This renders them useless,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies
MAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MAIL(1)

NAME
mail - send and receive electronic mail SYNOPSIS
mail [-dpqrv] [-f file] [user] OPTIONS
-d Force use of the shell variable MAILER -f Use file instead of /usr/spool/mail/user as mailbox -p Print all mail and then exit -q Quit program if SIGINT received -r Reverse print order, i.e., print oldest first -v Verbose mode EXAMPLES
mail ast # Send a message to ast mail # Read your mail DESCRIPTION
Mail is an extremely simple electronic mail program. It can be used to send or receive email on a single MINIX system, in which case it functions as user agent and local delivery agent. If the flag MAILER is defined in mail.c, it can also call a transport agent to handle remote mail as well. No such agent is supplied with MINIX. When called by user with no arguments, it examines the mailbox /usr/spool/mail/user, prints one message (depending on the -r flag), and waits for one of the following commands: <newline> Go to the next message - Print the previous message !command Fork off a shell and execute command CTRL-D Update the mailbox and quit (same as q) d Delete the current message and go to the next one q Update the mailbox and quit (same as CTRL-D) p Print the current message again s [file] Save message in the named file x Exit without updating the mailbox To send mail, the program is called with the name of the recipient as an argument. The mail is sent, along with a postmark line containing the date. For local delivery, a file named after the recipient in the directory /usr/spool/mail must be writable. If the directory /usr/spool/mail does not exist then the mail is dumped on the console, so that system programs have a way to notify a user on a system that does not have a mail spool. MAIL(1)