Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how can i make sar command run forever ? Post 302162788 by pt14 on Wednesday 30th of January 2008 05:23:55 AM
Old 01-30-2008
create a cron entry

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to run sar on Sun Solaris?

I want to get some information about system activity report on UNIX server. I want to use 'sar'. But it seems that report is binary code and can not be read. Please advise how to do it. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever <-- what does this mean?

Just looking at my ethernet interface.. I see this response... what does this mean...? ipconfig... lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00 inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo inet6 ::1/128 scope host valid_lft... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
0 Replies

3. Solaris

sar command not reporting

I am running Solaris 10 in a sparc environment. I have the sys crontab setup to use sar to gather data and report it. My sys crontab entry looks like this: 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -s 8:00 -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n have to make a newline forever?

I'm trying to make a little script, but I have a problem... I'm trying to sed a list of files made with a ls > filename.txt... Two variables (or i may call them constant because they are fixed values :D): ststr1 and ststr2 I want to sed s/"$ststr1"/"$ststr2"/g filename.txt >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxlamax
5 Replies

5. SuSE

SUSE 11.4 sar monitoring not run by default.

Hi, I had installed sysstat package below on a SUSE 11.4 box. I can see the sysstat cron file listed under the directory /etc/sysstat. However, it looks like the sysstat sar monitor is never run at all and the daily sar files are not created under the directory /var/log/sa. The cron daemon is also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: devtakh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make script that run with argument if not run from configuration file argument

Hello, Is there any method thorugh which script can take argument if pass otherwise if argument doesn't pass then it takes the argument from the configuration file i.e I am workiing on a script which will run through crontab and the script will chekout the code ,zip and copy to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sar -d output... does not make sense

Can someone explain the correlation between how sar names the disk drives and how the rest of the OS names the disk drives? sar lists my disk drives as sd0, sd1, sd2, etc..... while format lists my disk drives as c1t0d0, c1t1d0, c1t2d0,etc... And also why sar shows 8 disks but format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Need help on sar command.

Hi, how to find out actual utilization of memory using sar -r in Linux, I understand Linux keep entire memory in cache/buffers. I would like to know how to find out actual usage of memory (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Run compile command make as another user

Hello I'm trying to compile LibreOffice core from github.com. But this can - as far as I know - not be done as root user. So I compiled it as login user (the user as I log in) and compilation works. Now I try to compile LibreOffice core as a user I created using useradd: useradd -r -U -m... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: go4bash
2 Replies
sar(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   sar(1M)

NAME
sar, sa1, sa2, sadc - system activity report package SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sadc [ t n] [ofile] /usr/lib/sa/sa1 [ t n] /usr/lib/sa/sa2 [-aAbcdgkmpqruvwy] [-e time] [-f filename] [-i sec] [-s time] DESCRIPTION
System activity data can be accessed at the special request of a user (see sar(1)) and automatically, on a routine basis, as described here. The operating system contains several counters that are incremented as various system actions occur. These include counters for CPU utilization, buffer usage, disk and tape I/O activity, TTY device activity, switching and system-call activity, file-access, queue activ- ity, inter-process communications, and paging. For more general system statistics, use iostat(1M), sar(1), or vmstat(1M). sadc and two shell procedures, sa1 and sa2, are used to sample, save, and process this data. sadc, the data collector, samples system data n times, with an interval of t seconds between samples, and writes in binary format to ofile or to standard output. The sampling interval t should be greater than 5 seconds; otherwise, the activity of sadc itself may affect the sam- ple. If t and n are omitted, a special record is written. This facility can be used at system boot time, when booting to a multi-user state, to mark the time at which the counters restart from zero. For example, when accounting is enabled, the svc:/sys- tem/sar:default service writes the restart mark to the daily data file using the command entry: su sys -c "/usr/lib/sa/sadc /var/adm/sa/sa'date +%d'" The shell script sa1, a variant of sadc, is used to collect and store data in the binary file /var/adm/sa/sadd, where dd is the current day. The arguments t and n cause records to be written n times at an interval of t seconds, or once if omitted. The following entries in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will produce records every 20 minutes during working hours and hourly otherwise: 0 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 See crontab(1) for details. The shell script sa2, a variant of sar, writes a daily report in the file /var/adm/sa/sardd. See the OPTIONS section in sar(1) for an explanation of the various options. The following entry in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will report important activities hourly during the working day: 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -s 8:00 -e 18:01 -i 1200 -A FILES
/tmp/sa.adrfl address file /var/adm/sa/sadd Daily data file /var/adm/sa/sardd Daily report file /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
crontab(1), sag(1), sar(1), svcs(1), timex(1), iostat(1M), svcadm(1M), vmstat(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration NOTES
The sar service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/sar Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.10 20 Aug 2004 sar(1M)