Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Want to replace characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to replace characters Post 302162497 by arndorff on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 06:29:58 AM
Old 01-29-2008
Want to replace characters

Hi

I have searched for a way to replace odd characters in a FOLDER NAME. All search-and-replace issues I have seen, only involves how to make search-and-replace on a FILE och with TEXT INSIDE a FILE. My problem is with the FOLDER NAME.

My case is this:
I have a couple of persons that every now and then uploads files that are contained in a folder. Sometimes the foldernames get screwed up resulting in odd characters such as ^,§,√,≈ and so forth, i.e.

G^ran_F_080122

I would like to replace that "^" to an "o" and get

Goran_F_080122

How do I accomplish that?

-Arndorff

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Characters...

In a file, How do I replace a set number of characters in each line? For example.... substitute the first 54 characters of each line with mv? Thanks! Lisa (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lgardner17325
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace UTF-8 characters with tr

Hi, I try to get tr to replace multibytes characters by ascii equivalent. For example "Je vais à l'école" ---> 'Je vais a l'ecole" But my version of tr (5.97) doesn't seem to support multibyte sets. $ locale charmap; echo "Je vais à l'école" | tr éà ea UTF-8 Je vais aa l'aacole I try to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace characters in a file

Hi, I have a file in which i want to replace the charaters from position 3-5 with a particular string for the first line. For ex The file contains abcdefghij jkdsflsfkdk 908090900 i want to replace the characters 3-5 for the first line as 678 so, the file should look like ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters with random characters

I've got a file (numbers.txt) filled with numbers and I want to replace each one of those numbers with a new random number between 0 and 9. This is my script so far: #!/bin/bash rand=$(($RANDOM % 9)) sed -i s//$rand/g numbers.txtThe problem that I have is that it replaces each number with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellocatfood
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace characters using tr

Hi, I have a file which includes some French Characters and I want to change them to other characters like À to &Agrave; Â to &Acirc; É to &Eacute; ..... ..... and so on. I am tyring to use tr command like tr ÀÂÉ &Agrave;&Acirc;&Eacute; < input file But it does not work. Only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
2 Replies

6. Solaris

How to replace special characters in vi?

Hi , I want to replace the special characters in the file. For eg: cat abc 1234/4455/acb 234/k/lll/ 234`fs`fd I want to replace / and ` with the letter a and the output should like below. How to achieve this. 1234a4455aacb 234akallla 234afsafd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters

I have a line ending with special character and 0 The special character is the field separator for this line in VI mode the file will look like below, but while cat the special character wont display i know the hexa code for the special character ^_ is \x1f and ascii code is \0037, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace all but the first 3 characters with sed?

This seems like it should be an easy problem, but for some reason I am struggling with the solution. I simply want to replace all characters after the first 3 characters with another character, preferably with sed. Thanks in advance. Like this, but producing the proper number of *'s: sed... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: leolson
30 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters between $ and . with .

Hi - I have below in put to demo.txt /test/xyz/ibcdownload.jsp /test/xyz/pvxprogramtreeovermain.jsp /test/xyz/jtfrsrsr$HtmlTag.jsp /test/xyz/csdronumlov.jsp /test/xyz/iecvaluereset.jsp /test/xyz/ibecumpassignrole.jsp /test/xyz/ozfoffermarketmain.jsp output should be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
4 Replies
AUSEARCH_ADD_expression(3)					  Linux Audit API					AUSEARCH_ADD_expression(3)

NAME
ausearch_add_expression - build up search expression SYNOPSIS
#include <auparse.h> int ausearch_add_expression(auparse_state_t *au, const char *expression, char **error, ausearch_rule_t how); DESCRIPTION
ausearch_add_item adds an expression to the current audit search expression. The search conditions can then be used to scan logs, files, or buffers for something of interest. The expression parameter contains an expression, as specified in ausearch-expression(5). The how parameter determines how this search expression will affect the existing search expression, if one is already defined. The possi- ble values are: AUSEARCH_RULE_CLEAR Clear the current search expression, if any, and use only this search expression. AUSEARCH_RULE_OR If a search expression E is already configured, replace it by (E || this_search_expression). AUSEARCH_RULE_AND If a search expression E is already configured, replace it by (E && this_search_expression). RETURN VALUE
If successful, ausearch_add_expression returns 0. Otherwise, it returns -1, sets errno and it may set *error to an error message; the caller must free the error message using free(3). If an error message is not available or can not be allocated, *error is set to NULL. SEE ALSO
ausearch_add_item(3), ausearch_add_interpreted_item(3), ausearch_add_timestamp_item(3), ausearch_add_regex(3), ausearch_set_stop(3), ause- arch_clear(3), ausearch_next_event(3), ausearch-expression(5). AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac Red Hat Feb 2008 AUSEARCH_ADD_expression(3)