Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Want to replace characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to replace characters Post 302162497 by arndorff on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 06:29:58 AM
Old 01-29-2008
Want to replace characters

Hi

I have searched for a way to replace odd characters in a FOLDER NAME. All search-and-replace issues I have seen, only involves how to make search-and-replace on a FILE och with TEXT INSIDE a FILE. My problem is with the FOLDER NAME.

My case is this:
I have a couple of persons that every now and then uploads files that are contained in a folder. Sometimes the foldernames get screwed up resulting in odd characters such as ^,§,√,≈ and so forth, i.e.

G^ran_F_080122

I would like to replace that "^" to an "o" and get

Goran_F_080122

How do I accomplish that?

-Arndorff

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Characters...

In a file, How do I replace a set number of characters in each line? For example.... substitute the first 54 characters of each line with mv? Thanks! Lisa (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lgardner17325
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace UTF-8 characters with tr

Hi, I try to get tr to replace multibytes characters by ascii equivalent. For example "Je vais à l'école" ---> 'Je vais a l'ecole" But my version of tr (5.97) doesn't seem to support multibyte sets. $ locale charmap; echo "Je vais à l'école" | tr éà ea UTF-8 Je vais aa l'aacole I try to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace characters in a file

Hi, I have a file in which i want to replace the charaters from position 3-5 with a particular string for the first line. For ex The file contains abcdefghij jkdsflsfkdk 908090900 i want to replace the characters 3-5 for the first line as 678 so, the file should look like ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters with random characters

I've got a file (numbers.txt) filled with numbers and I want to replace each one of those numbers with a new random number between 0 and 9. This is my script so far: #!/bin/bash rand=$(($RANDOM % 9)) sed -i s//$rand/g numbers.txtThe problem that I have is that it replaces each number with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellocatfood
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace characters using tr

Hi, I have a file which includes some French Characters and I want to change them to other characters like À to &Agrave; Â to &Acirc; É to &Eacute; ..... ..... and so on. I am tyring to use tr command like tr ÀÂÉ &Agrave;&Acirc;&Eacute; < input file But it does not work. Only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
2 Replies

6. Solaris

How to replace special characters in vi?

Hi , I want to replace the special characters in the file. For eg: cat abc 1234/4455/acb 234/k/lll/ 234`fs`fd I want to replace / and ` with the letter a and the output should like below. How to achieve this. 1234a4455aacb 234akallla 234afsafd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters

I have a line ending with special character and 0 The special character is the field separator for this line in VI mode the file will look like below, but while cat the special character wont display i know the hexa code for the special character ^_ is \x1f and ascii code is \0037, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace all but the first 3 characters with sed?

This seems like it should be an easy problem, but for some reason I am struggling with the solution. I simply want to replace all characters after the first 3 characters with another character, preferably with sed. Thanks in advance. Like this, but producing the proper number of *'s: sed... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: leolson
30 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters between $ and . with .

Hi - I have below in put to demo.txt /test/xyz/ibcdownload.jsp /test/xyz/pvxprogramtreeovermain.jsp /test/xyz/jtfrsrsr$HtmlTag.jsp /test/xyz/csdronumlov.jsp /test/xyz/iecvaluereset.jsp /test/xyz/ibecumpassignrole.jsp /test/xyz/ozfoffermarketmain.jsp output should be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
4 Replies
STR_IREPLACE(3) 							 1							   STR_IREPLACE(3)

str_ireplace - Case-insensitive version ofstr_replace(3).

SYNOPSIS
mixed str_ireplace (mixed $search, mixed $replace, mixed $subject, [int &$count]) DESCRIPTION
This function returns a string or an array with all occurrences of $search in $subject (ignoring case) replaced with the given $replace value. If you don't need fancy replacing rules, you should generally use this function instead of preg_replace(3) with the i modifier. PARAMETERS
If $search and $replace are arrays, then str_ireplace(3) takes a value from each array and uses them to search and replace on $subject. If $replace has fewer values than $search, then an empty string is used for the rest of replacement values. If $search is an array and $replace is a string, then this replacement string is used for every value of $search. The converse would not make sense, though. If $search or $replace are arrays, their elements are processed first to last. o $search - The value being searched for, otherwise known as the needle. An array may be used to designate multiple needles. o $replace - The replacement value that replaces found $search values. An array may be used to designate multiple replacements. o $subject - The string or array being searched and replaced on, otherwise known as the haystack. If $subject is an array, then the search and replace is performed with every entry of $subject, and the return value is an array as well. o $count - If passed, this will be set to the number of replacements performed. RETURN VALUES
Returns a string or an array of replacements. EXAMPLES
Example #1 str_ireplace(3) example <?php $bodytag = str_ireplace("%body%", "black", "<body text=%BODY%>"); ?> NOTES
Note This function is binary-safe. Caution Replacement order gotcha Because str_ireplace(3) replaces left to right, it might replace a previously inserted value when doing multiple replacements. Example #2 in the str_replace(3) documentation demonstrates how this may affect you in practice. SEE ALSO
str_replace(3), preg_replace(3), strtr(3). PHP Documentation Group STR_IREPLACE(3)