Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Substring/Instring of a string with datestamp Post 302161255 by bhalotias on Thursday 24th of January 2008 05:05:37 AM
Old 01-24-2008
Substring/Instring of a string with datestamp

Hi,

I have just started working on unix today. I want to get the instring of a string (filename).

Eg. JAN_BILS_PRINT_01-01-08.txt

Now i want to extract the datestamp from the file and convert the date to the format mm/dd/yyyy.

How do i do this? Please hel pme with this.

Regards,
Saurabh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

can i get a substring from a string?

for example, the string a is "abcdefg", can i get a substring "bcd" (from ato a) from string a? thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dell9
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting a substring from a string

hi all, I am trying to extract SUBSTRINGS out of a string using ksh. The string is "SAPR3K.FD0.FA.TJ.B0010.T050302" I tried using a= `expr substr $stringZ 1 2` which is giving me a syntax error, donno why?? any ideas why its not working?? I also tried echo "welcome" | awk '{... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maradona
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the substring from the string

Hi All, Can anybody help me to get the substring from the given string. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anshu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get substring from string

Hi All, Problem Description: XML_REP_REQUEST=`CONCSUB "$LOGIN" "SQLAP" "$RESP_NAME" "$USRNM" WAIT="Y" "CONCURRENT" "APPLICATION_SHORT_NAME" "CP_SHORT_NAME"` echo Report Request: $XML_REP_REQUEST --to print value in log file While execution the value of 'XML_REP_REQUEST' is 'Prozess... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman.g
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with string and substring also I/O

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf PASSWD=/etc/passwd $PRINTF "Enter a UserID\n" read USERID if ; then $PRINTF "$USERID does not exist, please contact IT service\n" exit 1 fi USERHOME=`grep "^$USERID:" $PASSWD | awk -F : '{print $6}'` USERSHELL=`grep "^$USERID:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring in string with whitespaces

hello, i have this string: variable="1234 /PARAMETER_1:text /PARAMETER_2:othertext" i tried to do expr match $variable '.*\(*\)' but i keep getting expr error i need to extract the word text... thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aloush89
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Instring in awk

Hi, I have the below data ownername/schemaname/tablename/columnname in a file ( 2nd column) I want to convert everthing to upper case except the column name like below OWNERNAME/SCHEMANAME/TABLENAME/columnname do we have a instring function in awk to handle this. Thx,shruthi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a substring from a string

Hi, I have an input string say for example: ABC,DEF,IJK,LMN,...,XYZ The above string is comma delimited. Now I have to extract the last part after the comma i.e. XYZ. :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get substring from string variable

Hi Dears, How to use variable in string location of expression ${string:index:length} to get substring from string? I encounter error "bad substitution" when I use expression ${$var:0:5} to get first 5 characters from $var. Could you please help me out of this? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
CHGRP(3)								 1								  CHGRP(3)

chgrp - Changes file group

SYNOPSIS
bool chgrp (string $filename, mixed $group) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to change the group of the file $filename to $group. Only the superuser may change the group of a file arbitrarily; other users may change the group of a file to any group of which that user is a member. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. o $group - A group name or number. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Changing a file's group <?php $filename = 'shared_file.txt'; $format = "%s's Group ID @ %s: %d "; printf($format, $filename, date('r'), filegroup($filename)); chgrp($filename, 8); clearstatcache(); // do not cache filegroup() results printf($format, $filename, date('r'), filegroup($filename)); ?> NOTES
Note This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the server's filesystem. Note When safe mode is enabled, PHP checks whether the files or directories being operated upon have the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed. SEE ALSO
chown(3), chmod(3). PHP Documentation Group CHGRP(3)