Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Seperate contents in a file with | as delimiter Post 302160661 by risshanth on Tuesday 22nd of January 2008 09:28:13 AM
Old 01-22-2008
Sorry for not provding that .. Its BASH Scripts..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File into seperate files

Hi, So I have a text file which I want to separate into separate text files. I would use the split command but the problem here is that the text file is separated by delimiters. For example: blah blah blah ------ more text ----- and some more text So basically the first part should be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

seperate elements of a file

i want to write a script in Bash Shell that accept a list of files.an example of file is 4334:234 322.345:32 234:3452 e.t.c each file only contain lines like num1:num2 i want to count the lines of this file and find the summary of X=4334+322.345+234 and Y=234+32+3452 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nektarios4u
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for parsing details in a log file to a seperate file

Hi Experts, Im a new bee for scripting, I would ned to do the following via linux shell scripting, I have an application which throws a log file, on each action of a particular work with the application, as sson as the action is done, the log file would vanish or stops updating there, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingnagan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seperate file content

hi all, i have some file whoes contents are 0 /home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/a1 1 /home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/a2 2 /home8/mc09ats/b3 3 /home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/d1 i want to seperate the content following way... fileindex= 0 filepath=... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijitIT
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delimiter contents

Hi All, I have a file with contents : cat >file1.sh qw^A34^Aer the command i am using is: cut -f1,2,3 -d"^A" file1.sh which gave output as: qw^A34^Aer and the command cut -f2 -d"^A" file1.sh gave an output : A34 i need the output as : (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsandhya31
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace partial contents of file with contents read from other file

Hi, I am facing issue while reading data from a file in UNIX. my requirement is to compare two files and for the text pattern matching in the 1st file, replace the contents in second file by the contents of first file from start to the end and write the contents to thrid file. i am able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seeki
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to put delimiter for a no delimiter variable length text file

Hi, I have a No Delimiter variable length text file with following schema - Column Name Data length Firstname 5 Lastname 5 age 3 phoneno1 10 phoneno2 10 phoneno3 10 sample data - ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurav Martha
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Code to change file delimiter (passed as argument) to bar delimiter

Hi, Extremely new to Perl scripting, but need a quick fix without using TEXT::CSV I need to read in a file, pass any delimiter as an argument, and convert it to bar delimited on the output. In addition, enclose fields within double quotes in case of any embedded delimiters. Any help would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPB1977
2 Replies
update-motd(5)							File Formats Manual						    update-motd(5)

NAME
update-motd - dynamic MOTD generation SYNOPSIS
/etc/update-motd.d/* DESCRIPTION
UNIX/Linux system adminstrators often communicate important information to console and remote users by maintaining text in the file /etc/motd, which is displayed by the pam_motd(8) module on interactive shell logins. Traditionally, this file is static text, typically installed by the distribution and only updated on release upgrades, or overwritten by the local administrator with pertinent information. Ubuntu introduced the update-motd framework, by which the motd(5) is dynamically assembled from a collection of scripts at login. Executable scripts in /etc/update-motd.d/* are executed by pam_motd(8) as the root user at each login, and this information is concatenated in /var/run/motd. The order of script execution is determined by the run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit option (basically alphabetical order, with a few caveats). On Ubuntu systems, /etc/motd is typically a symbolic link to /var/run/motd. BEST PRACTICES
MOTD fragments must be scripts in /etc/update-motd.d, must be executable, and must emit information on standard out. Scripts should be named named NN-xxxxxx where NN is a two digit number indicating their position in the MOTD, and xxxxxx is an appropriate name for the script. Scripts must not have filename extensions, per run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit instructions. Packages should add scripts directly into /etc/update-motd.d, rather than symlinks to other scripts, such that administrators can modify or remove these scripts and upgrades will not wipe the local changes. Consider using a simple shell script that simply calls exec on the external utility. Long running operations (such as network calls) or resource intensive scripts should cache output, and only update that output if it is deemed expired. For instance: /etc/update-motd.d/50-news #!/bin/sh out=/var/run/foo script="w3m -dump http://news.google.com/" if [ -f "$out" ]; then # Output exists, print it echo cat "$out" # See if it's expired, and background update lastrun=$(stat -c %Y "$out") || lastrun=0 expiration=$(expr $lastrun + 86400) if [ $(date +%s) -ge $expiration ]; then $script > "$out" & fi else # No cache at all, so update in the background $script > "$out" & fi Scripts should emit a blank line before output, and end with a newline character. For instance: /etc/update-motd/05-lsb-release #!/bin/sh echo lsb-release -a FILES
/etc/motd, /var/run/motd, /etc/update-motd.d SEE ALSO
motd(5), pam_motd(8), run-parts(8) AUTHOR
This manpage and the update-motd framework was written by Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@canonical.com> for Ubuntu systems (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. update-motd 13 April 2010 update-motd(5)