Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: integers in the if statement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting integers in the if statement Post 302160516 by Deanne on Tuesday 22nd of January 2008 04:00:06 AM
Old 01-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anji
Your code have the syntactical errors

if [ $a -ge $b ]
then
echo $a
fi

Enjoy....
Anji
im using csh, this has always been the form of if that i have been using...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Using write() with integers in C

I'm trying to write an integer to a file using the write() function, but write() requires the parameter to be written to be a const void*. How would I go about doing this? also: using itoa() produces a " warning: implicit declaration of function 'itoa' " even though i have #included stdlib.h (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@run
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Scripting Compare Integers

I have a file with the following: 87565 82155 102656 151 162 I want to write korn shell script that will read each line in a loop and remove any number that has less than 5 digits, e.g., 151 and 152. thank you, Keoki:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: keoki_mel
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add non-integers using ksh

I would like to add 4.7 and 1.2. However I am unable to do this with expr. Any simple ideas (even using something other than expr)? Example: me> expr 4 + 1 5 me> expr 4.7 + 1.2 expr: 0402-046 A specified operator requires numeric parameters. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2dumb
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

integers, floats and text

I am using gawk in a dos shell in windows xp and want to read a datafile and reformat it. The datafile consists of columns of integers, floating point numbers and text strings. Each column is a fixed width and each column contains the same data type, eg all integers, all text. I am looking for a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookingfor help
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings to integers in an arithmetic loop

Hi all, Could someone please advise what is the correct syntax for my little script to process a table of values? The table is as follows: 0.002432 20.827656 0.006432 23.120364 0.010432 25.914184 0.014432 20.442655 0.018432 20.015243 0.022432 21.579517 0.026432 18.886874... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cancel down 2 integers

Wonderful evening to all of you! My problem has to possible starting points. Well, not really, but getting to either one is no problem at all. So i got either a string in the format of "1920x1080" or simply the integers X = 1920 and Y = 1080. When I am done, I would like to have an output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakunar
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep float/integers but skip some integers

Hi, I am working in bash in Mac OSX, I have following 'input.txt' file: <INFO> HypoTestTool: >>> Done running HypoTestInverter on the workspace combined <INFO> HypoTestTool: The computed upper limit is: 11 +/- 1.02651 <INFO> HypoTestTool: expected limit (median) 11 <INFO> HypoTestTool: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Integers/String

Hy friends, I am newbie to bash scripting, can anyone explain how b=${a/23/BB} # Substitute "BB" for "23". this line converts "b" into string and and "d" into Integer. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qazi
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strings to integers?

Hi, I'm totally new at this, so help will be appreciated. I have a directory with a bunch of files in it. The files are named xinteger_yinteger_zinteger.vtk (eg, x3_y0_z-1.vtk). I want to read the filenames and then assign the integers to variables that I then can use in expressions. So, for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhsinger
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Integers (I think)

Hi, I can't figure out what I'm missing. I'm running a query to see if there are any streams recording on my DVR before starting a scripted update. I'm guessing that it is viewing $VIDEO as a string instead of an int. I've tried everything I saw on google but it still comes back as $VIDEO is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhysers
8 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)