Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse) Post 302160416 by Perderabo on Monday 21st of January 2008 08:29:37 PM
Old 01-21-2008
There is no arbitrary limit on the number of slabs that a kernel routine (whether or not it is a module) can use, but no computer has an infinite amount of memory either. Zones are different than slabs. Memory locations have an address and not all addresses are identical in nature. This stuff varies greatly depending on the cpu. As an example, on a typical Pentium, ZONE_DMA memory has an addresss below 16 MB and is usable for DMA transfers. There are only a very few zones. This stuff is documented in "Understanding the Linux Kernel", by Bovet and Cesati, ISBN 0-596-00565-2.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How to convert Linux Kernel built-in module into a loadable module

Hi all, I am working on USB data monitoring on Fedora Core 9. Kernel 2.6.25 has a built-in module (the one that isn't loadable, but compiles and links statically with the kernel during compilation) to snoop USB data. It is in <kernel_source_code>/drivers/usb/mon/. I need to know if I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anitemp
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

kernel module

Hi All, I need to develop a kernel module which changes the IP address of a package according to its mac address. It would be a sort of L2 Nat. Somebody know if I can do this using netfilter?? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
2 Replies

3. Linux

kernel module parameters

Hi, if I install a module with specific parameter, will this parameters applied next time system boots? for exampe, I want to disable InterruptThrottleRate modprobe e1000e InterruptThrottleRate=0 Is this parameter apllied only for this run, or this module will always use this parameter when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shedon
2 Replies

4. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
SLABTOP(1)							Linux User's Manual							SLABTOP(1)

NAME
slabtop - display kernel slab cache information in real time SYNOPSIS
slabtop [ options ] DESCRIPTION
slabtop(1) displays detailed kernel slab cache information in real time. It displays a listing of the top caches sorted by one of the listed sort criteria. It also displays a statistics header filled with slab layer information. OPTIONS
Normal invocation of slabtop(1) does not require any options. The behavior, however, can be fine-tuned by specifying one or more of the following flags: --delay=n, -d n Refresh the display every n seconds. By default, slabtop(1) refreshes the display every three seconds. To exit the program, hit q. --sort=S, -s S Sort by S, where S is one of the sort criteria. --once, -o Display the output once and then exit. --version, -V Display version information and exit. --help Display usage information and exit. SORT CRITERIA
The following are valid sort criteria used to sort the individual slab caches and thereby determine what are the "top" slab caches to dis- play. The default sort criteria is to sort by the number of objects ("o"). The sort criteria can also be changed while slabtop is running by pressing the associated character. a: sort by number of active objects b: sort by objects per slab c: sort by cache size l: sort by number of slabs v sort by number of active slabs n: sort by name o: sort by number of objects p: sort by pages per slab s: sort by object size u: sort by cache utilization COMMANDS
slabtop(1) accepts keyboard commands from the user during use. The following are supported. In the case of letters, both cases are accepted. Each of the valid sort characters are also accepted, to change the sort routine. See the section SORT CRITERIA. <SPACEBAR> Refresh the screen. Q Quit the program. FILES
/proc/slabinfo -- slab information SEE ALSO
free(1), ps(1), top(1), vmstat(8) NOTES
Currently, slabtop(1) requires a 2.4 or later kernel (specifically, a version 1.1 or later /proc/slabinfo). Kernel 2.2 should be supported in the future. The slabtop statistic header is tracking how many bytes of slabs are being used and it not a measure of physical memory. The 'Slab' field in the /proc/meminfo file is tracking information about used slab physical memory. AUTHORS
Written by Chris Rivera and Robert Love. slabtop(1) was inspired by Martin Bligh's perl script, vmtop. The procps package is maintained by Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net>. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net>. Linux 13 Sep 2003 SLABTOP(1)