Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dig command output?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dig command output? Post 302160259 by sysgate on Monday 21st of January 2008 08:54:24 AM
Old 01-21-2008
One of my favorite utilities Smilie
use case : "dig any @NS1.GOOGLE.COM GOOGLE.COM" where :
dig - name of binary;
any - type of record to query;
@name.server - which Name Server to query
domain.com - domain name that you are interested in;
The above command will produce the following output :
Quote:
[root@dnssrv]# dig any @NS1.GOOGLE.COM GOOGLE.COM

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> any @NS1.GOOGLE.COM GOOGLE.COM
; (1 server found)
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 31659
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 13, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 7

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;GOOGLE.COM. IN ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
GOOGLE.COM. 10800 IN MX 10 smtp1.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 10800 IN MX 10 smtp2.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 10800 IN MX 10 smtp3.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 10800 IN MX 10 smtp4.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 300 IN A 72.14.207.99
GOOGLE.COM. 300 IN A 64.233.187.99
GOOGLE.COM. 300 IN A 64.233.167.99
GOOGLE.COM. 300 IN TXT "v=spf1 include:_netblocks.google.com ~all"
GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN NS ns1.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN NS ns2.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN NS ns3.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN NS ns4.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 86400 IN SOA ns1.GOOGLE.COM. dns-admin.GOOGLE.COM. 2008011602 7200 1800 1209600 300

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN NS ns1.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN NS ns2.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN NS ns3.GOOGLE.COM.
GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN NS ns4.GOOGLE.COM.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
smtp1.GOOGLE.COM. 3600 IN A 72.14.203.25
smtp2.GOOGLE.COM. 3600 IN A 64.233.167.25
smtp3.GOOGLE.COM. 3600 IN A 64.233.183.25
smtp4.GOOGLE.COM. 3600 IN A 72.14.215.25
ns1.GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN A 216.239.32.10
ns2.GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN A 216.239.34.10
ns3.GOOGLE.COM. 345600 IN A 216.239.36.10

;; Query time: 35 msec
;; SERVER: 216.239.32.10#53(216.239.32.10)
;; WHEN: Mon Jan 21 05:52:05 2008
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 504

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig

what is dig? Is it just a advanced type of nslookup? how to use it? //nicke:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nicke30
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux dig command

When I use the linux dig command such as #dig yahoo.com it resolves but when I use the same command as root it gives me error "Segmentation Fault" Please advise I am completly baffled. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig query time

Hi Guys, I just need a confirmation if what think i know is right . dig yahoo.com ; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> yahoo.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27410 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtomar
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

The dig command

Can I use two different DNS servers in the one command in the form of primary and secondary. Take this for example: dig @<primaryAddress> @<secondaryAddress> MX domain.tld So if primary address is down, it will use the secondary address as a backup. It seems to work when testing, but thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil_is_ere
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

dig-x: only part of the output is needed

Hi everyone, how can I get the highlighted text only? I am only concerned with the first line of the "AUTHORITY SECTION" (in red). thank you in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdulelah
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DIG uses localhost

Hi, I have these entries in the /etc/esolv.conf: ------------ domain xxxxxx search yyyyyy nameserver 127.0.0.1 nameserver aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nameserver bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ------------- When I use 'dig' or 'nslookup' command, like 'dig yahoo.com' it uses the localhost as the server. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file, send to dig, no output

From the command line I am running the following command: for i in $(awk '{print ($1)}' src-dst|uniq); do dig -x "$i" +short; done src-dst has a list of IP addresses. When this script is running and I do a ps -ef | grep dig, I see the proper dig command with IP addresses being run, but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phish
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dig match

Hi, I am testing some code to match a grep to see if one of the dns server exists but it does not seem to match: ERROR: ======= CRITICAL: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com NOT found CODE: ===== if ; then echo "OK: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com exists" else echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmccabe
5 Replies
drill(1)						      General Commands Manual							  drill(1)

NAME
drill - get (debug) information out of DNS(SEC) SYNOPSIS
drill [ OPTIONS ] name [ @server ] [ type ] [ class ] DESCRIPTION
drill is a tool to designed to get all sorts of information out of the DNS. It is specificly designed to be used with DNSSEC. The name drill is a pun on dig. With drill you should be able get even more information than with dig. If no arguments are given class defaults to 'IN' and type to 'A'. The server(s) specified in /etc/resolv.conf are used to query against. name Ask for this name. @server Send to query to this server. If not specified use the nameservers from /etc/resolv.conf. type Ask for this RR type. If type is not given on the command line it defaults to 'A'. Except when doing to reverse lookup when it defaults to 'PTR'. class Use this class when querying. SAMPLE USAGE
drill mx miek.nl Show the MX records of the domain miek.nl drill -S jelte.nlnetlabs.nl Chase any signatures in the jelte.nlnetlab.nl domain. This option is only available when ldns has been compiled with openssl-sup- port. drill -TD www.example.com Do a DNSSEC (-D) trace (-T) from the rootservers down to www.example.com. This option only works when ldns has been compiled with openssl support. drill -s dnskey jelte.nlnetlabs.nl Show the DNSKEY record(s) for jelte.nlnetlabs.nl. For each found DNSKEY record also print the DS record. OPTIONS
-D Enable DNSSEC in the query. When querying for DNSSEC types (DNSKEY, RRSIG, DS and NSEC) this is not automaticly enabled. -T Trace name from the root down. When using this option the @server and the type arguments are not used. -S Chase the signature(s) of 'name' to a known key or as high up in the tree as possible. -V level Be more verbose. Set level to 5 to see the actual query that is sent. -Q Quiet mode, this overrules -V. -f file Read the query from a file. The query must be dumped with -w. -i file read the answer from the file instead from the network. This aids in debugging and can be used to check if a query on disk is valid. If the file contains binary data it is assumed to be a query in network order. -w file Write an answer packet to file. -q file Write the query packet to file. -v Show drill's version. -h Show a short help message. QUERY OPTIONS -4 Stay on ip4. Only send queries to ip4 enabled nameservers. -6 Stay on ip6. Only send queries to ip6 enabled nameservers. -a Use the resolver structure's fallback mechanism if the answer is truncated (TC=1). If a truncated packet is received and this option is set, drill will first send a new query with EDNS0 buffer size 4096. If the EDNS0 buffer size was already set to 512+ bytes, or the above retry also results in a truncated answer, the resolver struc- ture will fall back to TCP. -b size Use size as the buffer size in the EDNS0 pseudo RR. -c file Use file instead of /etc/resolv.conf for nameserver configuration. -d domain When tracing (-T), start from this domain instead of the root. -t Use TCP/IP when querying a server -k keyfile Use this file to read a (trusted) key from. When this options is given drill tries to validate the current answer with this key. No chasing is done. When drill is doing a secure trace, this key will be used as trust anchor. Can contain a DNSKEY or a DS record. Alternatively, when DNSSEC enabled tracing (-TD) or signature chasing (-S), if -k is not specified, and a default trust anchor (/etc/unbound/root.key) exists and contains a valid DNSKEY or DS record, it will be used as the trust anchor. -o mnemonic Use this option to set or unset specific header bits. A bit is set by using the bit mnemonic in CAPITAL letters. A bit is unset when the mnemonic is given in lowercase. The following mnemonics are understood by drill: QR, qr: set, unset QueRy (default: on) AA, aa: set, unset Authoritative Answer (default: off) TC, tc: set, unset TrunCated (default: off) RD, rd: set, unset Recursion Desired (default: on) CD, cd: set, unset Checking Disabled (default: off) RA, ra: set, unset Recursion Available (default: off) AD, ad: set, unset Authenticated Data (default: off) Thus: -o CD, will enable Checking Disabled, which instructs the cache to not validate the answers it gives out. -p port Use this port instead of the default of 53. -r file When tracing (-T), use file as a root servers hint file. -s When encountering a DNSKEY print the equivalent DS also. -u Use UDP when querying a server. This is the default. -w file write the answer to a file. The file will contain a hexadecimal dump of the query. This can be used in conjunction with -f. -x Do a reverse loopup. The type argument is not used, it is preset to PTR. -y <name:key[:algo]> specify named base64 tsig key, and optional an algorithm (defaults to hmac-md5.sig-alg.reg.int) -z don't randomize the nameserver list before sending queries. FILES
/etc/unbound/root.key The file from which trusted keys are loaded when no -k option is given. SEE ALSO
unbound-anchor(8) AUTHOR
Jelte Jansen and Miek Gieben. Both of NLnet Labs. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <ldns-team@nlnetlabs.nl>. BUGS
COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2004-2008 NLnet Labs. Licensed under the revised BSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
dig(1), RFC403{3,4,5}. 28 May 2006 drill(1)